• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Used muzzleloader and rust in bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiles1410

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a navy arms buffalo hunter made in 1975 and the description listed it as bluing and case colors at 98% and also stated a drop in bore light showed the bore to be bright and shiny throughout. I received it today and it is in great condition but when I looked inside the bore my heart sank. There is some specks of rust visible to the naked eye. I have never purchased a used musket before so I don’t know if this would be considered normal for the age and is nothing to worry about or I should be upset because all of my other guns have zero rust or pitting. I’m not sure how smooth these barrels were to begin with. There is absolutely no rust around nipple or bolster....

The first three pics are from the ad and the rest are ones I just took
7A129D97-CA07-4837-B883-B77592A11500.jpeg
69A990B3-7B5D-45A7-A3E6-EC07EFFA64D7.jpeg
23C68E6B-357B-4A09-96B1-979E17C75A78.jpeg
53C625F3-D46E-4CC5-BF76-6129E231AB4D.jpeg
321B019D-FCDE-4E0B-9784-ECF68B5B14C0.jpeg
EF167E95-34BF-4EA4-AE25-765754A000A4.jpeg
F3596E0C-28C3-41FA-AE89-0C2BEF55B62A.jpeg
89EF4A18-BD6C-4DB3-9651-D4B9E515412B.jpeg
171EC4D7-0D28-4231-9414-C0A878961F16.jpeg
8DB45D58-4EF2-485C-8CB4-A1C4D531A8AA.jpeg

Last edited:
I would run an oily patch down the bore and follow it with a thick dry patch to see if that clears up what you are seeing. If it is just a slight amount of surface rust, it may disappear after you fire the first few shots.

I use a lot of water when I clean my muzzle loaders and a tiny speck of rust appearing on a surface I missed with oil is not unusual.

Someone else might mention the small ding on the muzzle crown at 6 O'clock. I would not worry about it if I shot the rifle and it was accurate.

I had one for several years and liked it but have the heavier Hawken Hunter also made by Navy Arms and finally sold the Buffalo hunter. That barrel will be fine as they were made for shooting mine bullets primarily. That bit of pitting will hurt nothing and will clean up with Navel jell and some Gunzilla.
The Buffalo Hunters have the same barrel as the Zoave musket , only shorter.

I purchased a navy arms buffalo hunter made in 1975 and the description listed it as bluing and case colors at 98% and also stated a drop in bore light showed the bore to be bright and shiny throughout. I received it today and it is in great condition but when I looked inside the bore my heart sank. There is some specks of rust visible to the naked eye. I have never purchased a used musket before so I don’t know if this would be considered normal for the age and is nothing to worry about or I should be upset because all of my other guns have zero rust or pitting. I’m not sure how smooth these barrels were to begin with. There is absolutely no rust around nipple or bolster....

The first three pics are from the ad and the rest are ones I just took
View attachment 60 View attachment 61 View attachment 62 View attachment 63 View attachment 64 View attachment 65 View attachment 66 View attachment 67 View attachment 68 View attachment 69

I personally do not think it’s that bad my friend. I’d run a lightly lubed patch down the bore and try to notice if you feel the patch hanging up in any certain portion of the barrel? That will give you an idea wether there’s any pitting in a certain area as well what part of the bore needs the most attention.

I’d then use Scotch Bright pads or 0000 steel wool, saturated in oil to work on the entire length of the bore, paying attention to the rough spots that you might have felt earlier.

Lastly, I’d use J-B bore cleaning compound with a little elbow grease if the above mentioned didn’t work for you.

As already mentioned, just shooting the rifle may take a lot of the rust out as well?

Anyway, I think you have a beautiful rifle my friend. Hope you come out with satisfactory results!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Give it a good cleaning, as previously suggested so you KNOW where you're at before taking that first shot, then when patches are coming out clean...take it out and ENJOY. I don't see anything that throws up a red flag from the pictures posted. If I were going o question anything from the pictures, I'd be wondering why the nipple doesn't appear to be "Snug down" against the bolster ?? Might just be an artifact of the photo.

I have a couple of rifles I purchase cheap with more serious pitting than that although it isn't really bad. They both shoot well and other than needed a little more attention when cleaning present no problems. As others have said, I would shoot and enjoy. The minor rust you showed may disappear and not show up again after the first cleaning.

I wouldn't worry at all about it. The key to accuracy is to find a minie no more that .002" below bore size. The trick is to measure the bore as they range from .574" thru 582". A set of pin gauges will help since the rifling is 3 groove.

Great little gun. Short, light and deadly on hogs!

my first muzzleloader ( an Italian made Mavi .50 ) was rusted so that bad the ramrod wouldn't`t go down, of course, i didn't think to check that. there are some bits of rifling completely gone here and there, but the last 10-12 inches are good. some evaporust and scrubbing and it will group 3 inches with a PRB at 75 yards, better if someone who can actually shoot gets hold of it...yours looks really good

Screenshot_20181103-114506_Gallery.jpg
My Buffalo Hunter barrel looks like it was cut using a pipe cutter...i was tempted to re crown it but i got some snug minis (.5775) and it will put 3 almost touching at 50 yards with 60grs fffg. I'd clean it and shoot it. Pretty is as pretty does.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181103-114521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181103-114521_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
As a fellow cowboy suggested brillo pad and JB bore paste. The bore will be fine. A close fitting minnie bullet I assume you will be using, greased with say 5 parts by volume bees wax to one part unsalted lard. I have use that mix forever in my rifle muskets. I shoot sometimes an original Pat 53 Enfield with quite a bit of pitting in the bore and it shoots as well as my Parker Hale reproduction Navy rifles using minnies. I have shot paper cartridges out of it and they also shoot reasonably well.

Back