• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unusual grouping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was trying different combos of shooting a round ball in my Navy Pietta SxS 12 ga.
One of the combos I used was a patched .715 round ball directly over 75 gr. of 2FG in the right barrel and 75 gr. of 2FG followed by 2 OS cards, a nest of lubed Spanish moss, a .715 round ball, a plug of Spanish moss followed by one OS card in the left barrel.

The two loads hit within 2" of each other at 25 yards. Both were low and slightly left of center.
Are the 2 loads more similar than it appears? I'm baffled. :idunno:

75 gr. of 2FG followed by 2 OS cards, a nest of lubed Spanish moss, a .715 round ball, a plug of Spanish moss followed by one OS card.

Ye forgot a plug of used chewing tobbacco lubed with Moonshine. :shocked2: :wink:
Actually, you might have gotten lucky. Most of those Ped sxs are choked and can be very unpredictable. A simple prb is my choice. Others milage varies. Keep shooting and determine for yourself which you like.

I'm not qualified to answer that specific question but from my own testing experience can say that almost anything shoots great at a mere 25 yards.
Next trip, you might try 50yds and see if there's a difference.

That's been my experience at 25 yards, too.

As for the behavior of the different loads in each barrel, I'd almost expect that. It's pretty common to shoot different loads like that in two barrels as a "fix" to bring together diverging POI's. Bud of mine has a 58 cal double rifle, and he's shooting 100 grains of 2f in one barrel and 120 grains in the other to produce about a 2" separation at 50 yards. Shooting the same load in both barrels spreads that to 6-8".

I played and am still playing with a 14 gauge double flinter I have been trying to build. The best group I have shot would be about “one minute of elephant” accuracy. That was with a PRB and wads.

The groups in my case were not very good or reproducible and 14 ga. balls were too expensive to play with.

Back