• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unintentional perk of being from a poor rural area.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba.50

Barefoot Hillbilly
Reaction score
Every time I look at what would be a nice looking gun if it warn't for the 1/2 dozen scope mount holes drilled in the barrel I just cringe. At the same time, I know in my heart of hearts that back in the day when everything had to be bigger & badder and shoot farther & faster that if there had been a decent gunsmith in the area, every one of my guns would'a had a Tasco 3x9x40 World Class(poor boy's Leupold) on it. Funny how life looks out for ya sometimes, ain't it?

I’m with you. Now if I see holes drilled in the flats, I leave it. About 20 years ago I picked up a 20ga barrel for a Renegade for $10. The top was drilled and the tenon was mounted with screws not dovetailed. Years later I discovered the tenon screws were both drilled into the barrel. Live and learn.

As many already know drilling ML is best left to those with proper equipment and skill. Precise pattern layout is essential. Best done with a mill (or mill/drill) machine with precise depth control and checked with specialized dial caliper depth gauge every step of the way. Each hole in drilled and tapped in same set up without moving work. Cannot tell you times have been brought barrels drilled thru, off center, swiss cheesed or even attempts at plugs. Why you should aways inspect bores carefully and have alarm bells when non factory holes or "anomalies" are seen on barrels. IMHO D&T's have no place on ML unless for very specific uses.

Back