• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman,
The rifle being discussed,H&A Heritage,does have a round action. The rifle pictured by Short Arm is only a picture of his rifle and not a H&A.
Mark

breechplug-1.jpg

On the left is a H&A breech plug for the taper pin H&A action and barrel.

On the right is a breech plug for an allan screw type (H&A type) action for a custom barrel.
SC45-70

Hi Hawkeye your right the bore is tight , I guest i will try to find some failsafe or something like it and measure the bore. I tried it today with .440ball and .015 patche and i was stretching the material to the point of ripping the material but boy that thing shoots.Everything that i put in whent at the same place at 50 yards cold or hot. Very happy with the purchase. :thumbsup:

You have purchased one of the finest shooting black powder guns that you could ever find.
A H&A rifle had beauty all in it's self.
You can spend money on Green River barrels, Ed Rayal barrels, whoever's barrel but they won't out shoot the good old Numrich Underhammer rifle.
In most cases you will pay more for a barrel than you will for a complete H & A rifle.
Good luck and good purchase.
Old Ford

Old ford i know you are right,this old gun was clean .Then to the range and shoots in about 1 1/2 but closer to 1 at 50yrds the front sight is'nt great the odd flyer cause by me, I may change the front sight, I can imagine when a play with the loads Fun Fun
Merci mon ami

This is the only pic I have left, that shows the patchbox on my Numrich Arms H&A .36 Heritage.

DSCN0385.JPG

Mine has a somewhat coarse polished steel look, almost chromed or nickle-plated, so I dunno if they were originally brass-plated or not.

IIRC, Numrich made 6 different H&A underhammers - the Boot Pistol, the Offhand Rifle, the Deerstalker rifle, the Deluxe Buggy Rifle, the Heritage Rifle, and the .45 Target Rifle.

ALL the rifles had globe-style front sights, and rimfire rifle style longleaf iron rear barrel sights installed.
The Heritage had a patchbox, a 3rd sight (a tang peep), and a looped skeleton-type pistol grip to the rear of the mainspring - the only model to have those features.
The .45 Target had no patchbox, forend, or ramrod/thimbles

Although the diameter and thread pitch are the same they are not interchangable!
The H&A has an OAL of 1.370 inch.
The custom has an OAL of 1.245 inch.
The H&A has a 1/4 inch section that is not threaded that fits against the shoulder in the breech of the barrel.
The unthreaded section is .533 inch in diameter.
They are simple to make and anyone with a lathe should be able to do one!

The hole in the action is 5/8 inch (.625 inch) and the thread is 5/8x18 for a barrel less than 50 cal.

With the plug removed from the barrel and action, you could press your tapered pin into the breech plug and solder it in place, then file it flush. Then drill and tap your action for allen screws.
Just make sure to tighten your action screw on the wide side of the taper first!

SC45-70

I have a Numrich Arms H & A "The Offhand". It has a marples sight, the name is stamped on it. it is exactly the same as the one on my Henry Big Boy purchased 2011.

Back