• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Barrel Length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostinIdaho

32 Cal
Reaction score
I got a new barrel for my H&A underhammer. The new barrel is a .50 cal for fall deer hunt.

Haven't decided what length yet.

I have a Smith carbine that I can easily hit a 9 inch plate at 150 yards. It has a 21.5" barrel.

Looking for suggestions and reasons. Thinking in the 30" range. Shorter wouldn't be bad for portability.

I got a new barrel for my H&A underhammer. The new barrel is a .50 cal for fall deer hunt.

Haven't decided what length yet.

I have a Smith carbine that I can easily hit a 9 inch plate at 150 yards. It has a 21.5" barrel.

Looking for suggestions and reasons. Thinking in the 30" range. Shorter wouldn't be bad for portability.
I just cut my H&A back 4 inches from 36 to 31 3/4s after recrown. It feels much better in off hand work and makes the front post a bit easier to see and it fills up more of the rear sight slot. I also removed the under lug and front rod pipe as it is strictly a competition gun . I won the first match I competed in after the cut back as it was easier to hold steady from the weight reduction that tended to tire me in a long match. It still has enough barrel weight to be steady and moving the front sight a bit closer to the rear sight helped quite a bit as well in defining the front post against the target. I use a globe sight up front with a post which works really great(light shield) in the summer sun or winter indoor shooting.
The caliber is a .45 Green Mtn. and the octagon barrel is 1 inch across the flats.

Its a 15/16 straight octagon. At 30" it would be a little lighter than my 20 gauge barrel.

Latest posts

Back