• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Arrived!! HEE HAW!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new "old" .50 cal 1 1/8 inch X 32 chunk gun arrived today.
Although not as heavy as some others are, I am pleased with it.
I remember seeing one of these years ago, not much use for something as heavy as this.....an old man's bench gun, as I was told.
Hey! Now I'm an old man...it fits just fine, especially in character.
I don't know the twist, or the the true bore size.
But it is marked " Numrich Ams West Hurley NY"
Does anybody know how many variations of the Underhammer that Numrich produced.
I know of five (5) the pistol, the buggy rifle, with the pistol action, the buggy rifle with 20" octagon rifle, the Heritage with thirty something inches barrel, in varried 36, 45,and 50 cal.
I also believe they produced a shotgun.
Any more information would be appreciated.
Best Regards

Old Ford

You forgot my one of kind 48" barrel factory H+A,(that Ive sold) you may find pics of it still on this site. (Best shooting rifle Ive ever had out of 30 something ML's since 1971) The ads in Muz Blast back in 60s-70's show you could order about any kind of barrel, and they had the 58 Hunter was it?, and Target. Fred :hatsoff:

The only one that I still have that is marked
Numrich Arms, Hopkins & Allen, W. Hurley. N.Y.
THE “OFF HAND”
21” barrel, came out new without a forearm.
Bore .336 groove .357 Shoots best with around 70 gr. 3F

Also still have a 20 gage.

I have not seen the the buggy rifle with the pistol action.
If you have a picture of one I would love to see it.

Thanks
Tinker2

i too have one marked offhand it is .45 cal 15/16x32. they also made a .45 cat target with a 42" barrel.

If this will go back far enough on my topics youll see pics of my 48" 1 1/8 Num H+A but no name rifle , everyone had fun with the "you can shoot 1" 3 shot grps cause the barrel is touching the target, useing H+A's 433 ball in the 45 I have one targt that all went into a dime size hole at 50 all the others you could tell it was 3 shots, Great rifle. All the DC and H+As have been great shooters since the first one in 1962, you got a lb of powder,horn or flask, 1 or 2 other things for about 45 bucks . What a Deal!! :bow: Fred :hatsoff:

Here is the thread that shows Freds (FW) long boy underhammer ...
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/188814/[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS DAVY, That brings back some fun days. Fred :hatsoff: ( oh add a tin of caps to that 1962 sale's)

Back