• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

under hammer rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, It seems that the supply of under hammer rifles, pistols, & kits has dried up. Is there enough interest for some one to start production of the Hopkins & Allen design again?

Talon: I'll bet any decent machinist could build a very fine underhammer action for not much money with CNC equipment. I think said machinist would cut a pretty fat hog as there is a steady demand for underhammers. Not a big market, but steady.

May so, but all of the custom underhammers I've seen for sale are right costly.

Sitting Fox still had underhammers last year that they would use to make up a special kit. Price was reasonable. Have to ask since they don't advertise them.

Actually cnc equipment isn't needed for the underhammers. The desighn was very simple. I am in the process of rebuilding a surface grinder so I can make wheellocks. Maybe I should consider underhammers as well!

If you want to build an underhammer rifle, contact Deer Creek Products in Waldron, Indiana. They were the last company to manufacture the Mowrey underhammer rifle. I was able to buy most of the parts for an underhammer rifle from them but had to have the barrel made by Long Hammock in Florida. When I got it finished, it was an amazingly accurate tack driver.

If you can build a kit, you can hack out an underhammer. Find a barrel on sale for under a hundred bucks (GM) and get your scrap together. Buy the nipple and breech plug and make the rest. I bet you can do it for under 150 bucks. A muzzleloader doesnt get any simpler than this. Truly an elegant design, ie;simple and effective.
The H&A is brilliant, 3 moving parts!
One modification that is worthy would be a patent breach, color cased. installing a nipple in a barrel is effective but maybe not the best option for strength and corrosion.
Ed

It would be nice to see a mass marketed product that's more authentic than the old H&A guns, and not made from stolen parts. It seems entirely doable, and even simple, depending on the design.

There is a source of underhammer actions right now:
http://www.fire-iron.biz/

I have been making my own UH with old parts from a friend the made Uh rifles and pistols in Argentina.
I have just finished a rifle.

Martin

Back