• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Old H&A Underhammer Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If "they" started making a re-do of the old Hopkins & Allen Underhammer Pistol, there'd be a lot of interest. They were very cool, and I can imagine a nostalgia market for them as well as new interest. Something about them, so simplistic, utilitarian, and un-complicated! I had one of the early ones back in the 60's, had a plastic stock, but I've seen another with wooden stock. Would love to find one in Excellent condition!

I'd want one for sure - 36 caliber with a good quality fast twist barrel. Oh, and a nice adjustable rear sight. For about $300.
I think I'm just dreamin.

I did end up with one and have shot it a little. They have a slightly smaller bore than other 36 caliber guns and need a ball of about .340 inches.

I did end up with one and have shot it a little. They have a slightly smaller bore than other 36 caliber guns and need a ball of about .340 inches.
Do they use the same action as was on the buggy rifle ? I have one of the newer version actions with the flat sides for a rifle but it would be easy enough to make a pistol out of I think.

I have never seen a buggy rifle, but it's probably the same trigger and hammer. The action is really just a slot milled in a rear portion of the barrel, behind a long plug that must also form the breech plug. I think the rifle has a curved part instead of the straight barrel of the pistol.

I have never seen a buggy rifle, but it's probably the same trigger and hammer. The action is really just a slot milled in a rear portion of the barrel, behind a long plug that must also form the breech plug. I think the rifle has a curved part instead of the straight barrel of the pistol.
I found a picture of the pistol and it is different and does not use the curved rifle action but as you have said is straight with the grip attached in line with the barrel.

Ever since I got my first underhammer rifle I've been addicted to them ever since. :ghostly: I also have a 12g underhammer that I'll be taking for a walk in the squirrel woods after work today.....

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpg
    RenderedImage.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • qth1H2peREGxCPgTW8BfNQ.jpg
    qth1H2peREGxCPgTW8BfNQ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Ever since I got my first underhammer rifle I've been addicted to them ever since. :ghostly: I also have a 12g underhammer that I'll be taking for a walk in the squirrel woods after work today.....
The figure on your stock is amazing. I built a 50 caliber Hopkins & Allen underhammer rifle from a kit. It is accurate but the stock is very plain.

Latest posts

Back