• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Remington 1858 extra cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laufer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I can not find them anywhere- Taylors has them listed, but after four months waiting and being told to wait some more, I canceled the order.
Anybody know where to find the standard .44cal cylinder for Uberti Rem 1858?

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked in the VTI site and all I saw was cartridge conversions. Maybe I didn't look in the right place?

Knowing Dixie Gunworks, I'm sure they have provided a number of extra cylinders for both Colts and Remingtons. If there was a problem with these parts fitting I'm also sure they have heard from the unhappy buyers. That's why I suggested contacting them.

FWIW I bought a cylinder for my Uberti '58 Remmy from one of the well known retailers, either DGW or VTI or...

It didn't work at all. Wouldn't fit, let alone tune. I sent it back (and whichever co. it was took it back with no problem).

Don't know why, but the cylinders I bought for my Pietta fit and worked just fine. Once I even used one from another Pietta '58 Rem and it also worked without shaving lead or bad timing! :idunno:

Or you can try a couple of civil war sutlers, such as Blockade Runner, or Falls Creek. I bought one from Blockade Runner a couple of years ago. And I bought one from VTI. The one from VTI was a replacement for my Uberti Mellinium Remington that I bought in 2000. Also try the Regimental Quartermaster.

dixie does not have them, i have tried them first, neither does midway usa.
taylor puts you on the list, from what lady over there told me, uberti is a full year behind on cylinder orders and will try to catch up soon, when ever that soon is in italy.
will try vti.
thank you all!

I wonder how close they are to a Pietta 58?
Might want to try one of your friends cylinders from a Pietta and see what happens?
I'd sure give it a look see if it were me!

The notion that a cylinder cannot be altered to fit from factory spec is nonsense. It can be and is done by people who know how with complete safety.
Course it will make a factory trained mechanic apoplectic but that is just because they are generally only trained to do things the factory authorized way.
Here are a few ways a cylinder can be altered to fit a frame that it would not initially.
They can be shortened, base pin hole bushed and reamed to fit original base pin , a bushing fit to correct end shake, ratchets peaned and recut, ratchet bushing installed and recut , bolt notches widened and offset and a new over size bolt fit to correct out of alignment and the list goes on.
A barrel can be set back a thread or two and re-qualified to work with a short cylinder.
Hands can be stretched for more length, welded or shimmed for more width, triggers can be forged or made from scratch for a paddle profile preferred by target shooters.
Sear lifts can be in stalled to safely shorten sear/trigger engagement and a whole lot more possible to make a run of the mill factory gun that sort of shoots into a real race horse.

You may want to check Cimarron again. it let me add the item to my cart, and go to check out. It was $92.00 for a blued one.

M.D. said:
I wonder how close they are to a Pietta 58?
Might want to try one of your friends cylinders from a Pietta and see what happens?
I'd sure give it a look see if it were me!

My experience is they do not fit one another at all. I've got both Pietta and Uberti and there's no swapping cylinders.

In response to your posted thread "Uberti Remington 1858 extra cylinders (Topic#292219)", Post#1446498, check out this link for spare Uberti 1858 .44 cylinders from Dixie.

Back