• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Police 1862

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Italian Uberti website shows the 1862 as being available with a 4 1/2" barrel. I would buy this version in a heartbeat if only I could find one in the US. This version does not appear to be available from any supplier and I wonder why. Many years ago Navy arms offered an 1858 .36 Navy with a 4 1/2' barrel and I have kicked myself repeatedly for not getting one when they were available.

Have sent a email to Italy for their input.

Good luck with that! They don't respond even in good times. Don't bother sending an email to UbertUSA as they only address Stoeger marked firearms.

Taylor's lists one but it is out of stock, no doubt due to the pandemic. I would contact them for one when available.

1862 Pocket Police (taylorsfirearms.com)

Regards,

Jim

Good luck with that! They don't respond even in good times. Don't bother sending an email to UbertUSA as they only address Stoeger marked firearms.

Taylor's lists one but it is out of stock, no doubt due to the pandemic. I would contact them for one when available.

1862 Pocket Police (taylorsfirearms.com)

Regards,

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'll contact Taylor's.

The Italian Uberti website shows the 1862 as being available with a 4 1/2" barrel. I would buy this version in a heartbeat if only I could find one in the US. This version does not appear to be available from any supplier and I wonder why. Many years ago Navy arms offered an 1858 .36 Navy with a 4 1/2' barrel and I have kicked myself repeatedly for not getting one when they were available.
[/QUcheck cimeron they have one in stock for 402$ but doesnt say if its a uberti or pedresoli both companys make thier pistols

It would be a Uberti as Pietta doesn't make either the Pocket Police or Pocket Navy.
cimeron states they have one, googled who makes thier pistols, came up pedrosoli and uberti

cimeron states they have one, googled who makes thier pistols, came up pedrosoli and uberti

Yes they sell pistols by both manufacturers however Pietta doesn't make any .36 caliber Pocket models nor do they make any .31 caliber Colt revolvers. Uberti manufactures both .31 and .36 caliber revolvers on the small frame.

If you have to have one in that barrel length then buy a full size revolver and have a good smith lop the barrel off and reset the front sight. No big deal really. I wouldn't have any qualms about doing so if that's what I wanted.

If you have to have one in that barrel length then buy a full size revolver and have a good smith lop the barrel off and reset the front sight. No big deal really. I wouldn't have any qualms about doing so if that's what I wanted.
Plus cutting, re-drilling the spring cavity, slotting and cross pinning the case hardened rammer. It does not sound like an enjoyable project.

The 4 1/2” version is the one I would want as well. Seems it would make a handy and light backpacking gun.

Getting a longer barrel to have cut down seems a bit costly, especially when there’s one available from the factory as a complete unit. I’ve entertained the idea of a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2” version and ordering the 3 1/2” barrel.

Plus cutting, re-drilling the spring cavity, slotting and cross pinning the case hardened rammer. It does not sound like an enjoyable project.
Yeah, that too, still not much of a job if you have a mill and carbide cutters although I really don't care for those short ram arms. Guess it would work fine with a lever extension in your bag or a heavy leather glove. Need a under-barrel dove tail cut for the ram lug too but most of these cut down belly guns don't keep the rammer any way so in that case it would still just be a sight reset and muzzle crown job.

Good point, except I've always worried about how you would shorten the loading lever?

The 62 Pocket Police has been available from time to time with the 4 1/2" barrel. I actually saw a new one three years ago and should have bought it. I don't believe Uberti offered the 62 Pocket Navy with that barrel length here in the US unless it was a long time ago. I have the Navy with the 5" barrel and I feel it balances very nicely. Years ago VTI Gunparts listed a 4" Pocket Navy barrel as an individual part and I ordered one, but after more than a year wait they simply refunded my money.

There's probably less demand for the 4.5" version so they produce fewer of the barrels in that length. The longer barrels also seem rare, apparently a 7.5" Pocket Police exists, also a Pocket Navy.

The Pocket .36's seem like low production items to begin with. I've never even heard from anyone owning a Uberti Pocket Navy.

Well now you have Stan, I own one of each and they both have the long barrels. :) With an unfluted cylinder and more weight in the wedge area the Pocket Navy actually handles better than the Pocket Police but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who likes a '51 Navy.

Latest posts

Back