• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti cattleman black powder cap and ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gun show buy. Priced very low and Couldn't pass it up, black powder guns just dont sell well at gun shows around here. I bought it more as a piece of art. Have other guns to shoot. Just beautiful looking and feels great in the hand. Apparently the exact same as the cartridge gun that they make except for the hammer and cylinder.

I haven't seen much posted about it so I thought I would put a few pictures up.

44a.jpg

44b.jpg

44c.jpg

WOW!!! toothPick. Fantastic!! That's a heck of an iron you got there. Thank you for posting that. :thumb:

this has been settled before

So long as it is fired off with a percussion cap it is fair game. My only issue with that gun is how the hell do you load it? Do you have to take the cylinder off every time and use a loading station?

" Do you have to take the cylinder off every time and use a loading station? "

Exactly right!!

I really don't plan on shooting this one much, if at all.

" Wonder if they make a un-mentionable cly. for it. Just saying."

Sadly they don't. Apparently the mods Uberti made to the gun make it very hard to convert too.

Look around I would wager you could find a regular 45 colt Uberti cattleman's Cly, for it and it would drop right in. Just done a quick look at the Uberti's and the only difference is the Cly. that I could see.

What I have read is that it would be less work and money to just buy a cartridge gun if that is what you really want. It would involve welding and machining just to get the firing pin located correctly Very few if any success stories out there.

Is the firing pin machined into the hammer, or is it removeable, if it is removable I do not think a C.F. type pin would be that hard to make for someone with a bit of lathe experience? and as to the firing pin hole in the frame really does not look like a difficult job to adjust for a C.F. type pin? these type weapons never originally existed to my knowledge, but it is a nice piece. Just curious. As I shoot a 58 remmy both with a percussion and un-mentionable cly. also shoot a remy that is strictly C.F. One never knows what may be needed to stay in the shooting game now of days. Thanks for the in-put.

Toothpick, perhaps a replacement hammer and a liner for the hole in the frame, think the older S/W model 10s with the floating firing pin in the hammer, bore the firing pin hole out in the frame re-line with a bushing that allows the firing pin access through the frame, really do not see where any welding would come into play, As stated these things I find interesting, So before I find myself being chewed over such things I will stop here. Interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back