• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two new knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are two knives I made for a hunting buddy of mine ,one for him & one for his son aged six.
(Well you got to start em young).
forge welded from a single billet of three layers of cold rolled mild steel & two from a bandsaw blade
I used plum wood for the handles held on with brass rivets
the scabbards from 3 mil veg tan cowhide stile used
homemade punches to decorate in a medival pattern.

(pete)

Those blades are awesome, but there is just something about those scabbards. Great work!

I beat and folded and welded 5 layers of steel once 'til I had enough left to make a pen knife :shocked2: and stayed with solid billets ever since. Your work is good and the sheathes are superb, but the knives are too fancy for me. Of course all I've forged in Medieval style were peasant knives with splinter tang handles ( I used hickory with burnt and dark finish) and a dagger or two, also simple. All you need now are a couple of Freekforge's handgonnes to go with them! Cheers! George.

BillinOregon said:
Hogslayer, your work is always top notch. Any chance you would let us see your hand-cut stamps, or, dare I ask, a tutorial on how you make them? The scabbards are fascinating.
Many thanks to all for your coments ,one of my interests is 14th centry English history ,the designs

on my scabbards are taken from a book of medieval finds from excavations in London.
(knives and scabbards ISBN 0 11 290440) My punches are made from mild steel & brass , you can see from
the picture how they are made, tools used, saw files the brass soft soldered to steel blanks,
hope this is will help.

(Pete)

Many thanks to all for your coments ,one of my interests is 14th centry English history ,the designs

on my scabbards are taken from a book of medieval finds from excavations in London.
(knives and scabbards ISBN 0 11 290440) My punches are made from mild steel & brass , you can see from
the picture how they are made, tools used, saw files the brass soft soldered to steel blanks,
hope this is will help.

(Pete)
[/quote]

I'm a newbie here, and I do have a love of creating traditional things in leather, wood, and metal.

These punches are marvellous, and an eye-opener.

Previously, when I considered making unique leather punches, it was limited to simpler designs, because of the difficulty of creating the irregular hollow shapes in the punch end necessary to create a raised image.

However, your punches revealed the solution.

Do you use a jeweler's saw to pierce the brass, cut out the design, and then refine the cutout with watchmaker's and needle files?

Anyway, beautiful work.

(Do you use a jeweler's saw to pierce the brass, cut out the design, and then refine the cutout with watchmaker's and needle files?)
The answer is yes,I came up with the ideal when i
to make punches for a member of my living history group (a cordwainer) being the blacksmith I got the job.Hope this will help.
(Pete)

Outstanding! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I never cease to be amazed at the high quality of work that is turned out by so many of our members. I never had the chance to learn such skills, but it is enough for me to be in the company of those who have.

Thank you for sharing.

Richard/Grumpa

Back