• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM 20 gauge smoothbore barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are made from tubing, but is it seamless tubing?
Could a few of the folks on here that have them post some comments on likes and dislikes please?

Sometimes you will get one with a rough bore, & or a little oversize on the bore. Sometimes the breech plug is fit like it should be, other times not. It's been debated on this forum & others the pros & cons of tubing barrels.You get what you pay for.

talon, thank you for the reply. :thumbsup:
Maybe I should have posted this question in the smoothbore forum, but since it concerned a part I thought it belonged here.
I fooled around with the "search" feature for about 30 minutes and never did find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd post the question. If any of the moderators think this should be in smoothbore, please feel free to move it.
A friend is going to build me a gun from a TVM kit this winter, but if the barrels aren't good quality I'm gonna find another kit for him to use. I'd like to have some information before he places the order.

fw707
IMO, this is the right place to ask about gun parts. The forums like Smoothbore, Flintlock and Percussion are really intended for talk about actually shooting the guns (along with a bit of caring for them).

I don't know what TVM uses for their shotgun barrels. As many know I am not a big fan of anyone using Welded Tubing or DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel)tubing (which is simply welded tubing that has had the weld bead smoothed out) to build a barrel of any kind.

Without going into all of the reasons I'm against this, I will be the first to say that the people who build barrels for a living have done the Engineering work to calculate the barrels requirements and the proper materials to use and these may include true seamless tubing (which is rather expensive stuff).

If you want a really good answer to what the barrels are made from and more importantly who built them call TVM. I'm sure they will be happy to give you an answer.

Zonie said:
fw707
IMO, this is the right place to ask about gun parts. The forums like Smoothbore, Flintlock and Percussion are really intended for talk about actually shooting the guns (along with a bit of caring for them).

I don't know what TVM uses for their shotgun barrels. As many know I am not a big fan of anyone using Welded Tubing or DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel)tubing (which is simply welded tubing that has had the weld bead smoothed out) to build a barrel of any kind.

Without going into all of the reasons I'm against this, I will be the first to say that the people who build barrels for a living have done the Engineering work to calculate the barrels requirements and the proper materials to use and these may include true seamless tubing (which is rather expensive stuff).

If you want a really good answer to what the barrels are made from and more importantly who built them call TVM. I'm sure they will be happy to give you an answer.

Thank you Zonie.
I called Tennessee Valley Manufacturing today and they said the barrels were DOM "seamless" tubing, and they were made in their shop.
I appreciate your reply and your opinion.
:thumbsup:

Back