• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tutelage requested

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there anyone in Michigan near Livingston County 48353 that may have a range day or shooting session planned that would be willing to school me not only in side by side rifles but in flintlocks as I find myself wanting one pretty good.
The problem I have is no one ever taught me the proper way to load, clean or care for a muzzleloader I just did a lot of reading and studying.
I still really know no one that shoots them other than my wife and son that learned what I did or do.
My weapons are all clean and rust free so I learned something from reading all of those books years ago but I admit to wanting to learn more and safely.
I appreciate this forum and its members and hopefully I can repay the kindness shown me one day by being a contributing member that can help someone in their quest.
Ron

Check out the NMLRA page for clubs near you. Appear to be quite a few in Michigan.
1595551922112.jpeg

It would be great to have a mentor. I'm pretty much self taught and I know I picked up a lot of misinformation along the way. Luckily for forums like this one with such a wealth of knowledge shared by the members, I can say that my insight has grown quite a bit. Thanks to all of you guys.

It would be great to have a mentor. I'm pretty much self taught and I know I picked up a lot of misinformation along the way. Luckily for forums like this one with such a wealth of knowledge shared by the members, I can say that my insight has grown quite a bit. Thanks to all of you guys.
I am 100 percent in agreement with you and suffer the same short falls.
It is nice to know that i am not the only one.

I am very fortunate that I grew up around the old timers and muzzle loaders. Looks like there is a lot of opportunity for you in that part of the country. Buckle up you are going to have a blast, literally.

I am very fortunate that I grew up around the old timers and muzzle loaders. Looks like there is a lot of opportunity for you in that part of the country. Buckle up you are going to have a blast, literally.
I hope so.
The wife and I were members of several sportsmans clubs but the arrogance and better than you attitude pushed us away and we haven't looked until recently for a replacement so to say.

Is there anyone in Michigan near Livingston County 48353 that may have a range day or shooting session planned that would be willing to school me not only in side by side rifles but in flintlocks as I find myself wanting one pretty good.
The problem I have is no one ever taught me the proper way to load, clean or care for a muzzleloader I just did a lot of reading and studying.
I still really know no one that shoots them other than my wife and son that learned what I did or do.
My weapons are all clean and rust free so I learned something from reading all of those books years ago but I admit to wanting to learn more and safely.
I appreciate this forum and its members and hopefully I can repay the kindness shown me one day by being a contributing member that can help someone in their quest.
Ron
Have you checked out the Lansing Muzzleloader club? I
Ron
Have you looked into the Lansing Muzzleloading club? I too am a newbie and have a coworker who gratiously took me out there last fall and let me try out a couple of his flintlocks. I just bought my first flintlock a couple weeks ago after being bit by the bug on that trip. I am now waiting to go back out there with him to try it out. I understand where you are coming from, I had and still have a ton of questions. Everyone at the club was friendly, seemed pretty low key. May be worth contacting one of the club officers and asking. They have a FB page.

Have you checked out the Lansing Muzzleloader club? I

Have you looked into the Lansing Muzzleloading club? I too am a newbie and have a coworker who gratiously took me out there last fall and let me try out a couple of his flintlocks. I just bought my first flintlock a couple weeks ago after being bit by the bug on that trip. I am now waiting to go back out there with him to try it out. I understand where you are coming from, I had and still have a ton of questions. Everyone at the club was friendly, seemed pretty low key. May be worth contacting one of the club officers and asking. They have a FB page.
That is great to hear, I will definitely look up there information and call them.
Lansing from me is only an hour so an easy quick run.
Thanks again for the help, maybe one day we can meet and shoot a few.

Ron

I also had no one to teach me, and pretty much just read all that I could on muzzle loading and went from there. I think I did a pretty good job of things but I bet I could still learn a new trick or two. Wish I could help you but I live far from Michigan

Club politics. Thought that only occurred in the ones I typically joined...... Really no reason not to look. Good clubs are out there.

It is sad. I grew away from club memberships back in the late 80's. It was coming. I would hope that politics and arrogance would not plague the black powder world like it had the NRA.

If I'm not mistaken, you're up Hwy. 23 just north of Ann Arbor? When lived in Ypsi/Arbor back in '05-'10, the Washtenaw Sportsmans Club had a fairly active blackpowder group, including periodic woods walks on their property. It was a good bunch.

I don't know if they're still active. I've been gone 10 years. Another good group is the Tobacco River Muzzleloaders up in Gladwin County, though that's a couple of hours from you. I've shot with them a couple of times in theist couple years.

If I'm not mistaken, you're up Hwy. 23 just north of Ann Arbor? When lived in Ypsi/Arbor back in '05-'10, the Washtenaw Sportsmans Club had a fairly active blackpowder group, including periodic woods walks on their property. It was a good bunch.

I don't know if they're still active. I've been gone 10 years. Another good group is the Tobacco River Muzzleloaders up in Gladwin County, though that's a couple of hours from you. I've shot with them a couple of times in theist couple years.
You my friend are very correct as to my location.
US23 north to Clyde Rd gets you pretty much in my back yard.
I had no idea there is/was a Washtenaw Sportsmans club, sad as our son was in 4H in Washtenaw County for 13 years and our daughter currently is.
One would think I might know these things.
Thanks for the heads up, I will most definitely check it out.
Ron

Back