• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turning junk into gun parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been meaning to pick up some sheet steel to make the toe plate for my Mountain Rifle, I just never got around to it. Well today I was walking my property figuring out where I want to put my steel gongs for the woods walk. And low and behold I saw the steel base that was once part of a shipping crate. My son had drug it back there to let snakes have a place to hide so he can flip it and pick em up and such things. Anyway, I thought, THERE"S my toe plate. I went back and got my calipers and sure enough its .0.055" thick. This is one part I love about this hobby, making useful stuff yourself if you are able. What sorts of junk have you turned into gun parts? Do Share.
KIMG0626.jpg

When I had a lathe I turned a lot of old gun barrels into usable tools like wad punches or special loading tools. That's why it's important not to throw away anything that might be at all usable.
Unfortunately, I have to confess that I've turned some gun parts into junk as well.

Good find!

Lets see....
Railroad spikes into rear sights.
Hacksaw blades into sear springs, patchbox springs/catches, etc.
Brass door kickplates into patchboxs
Maple stock scraps into small boxes, christmas ornaments and most recently 'wands" (think Harry Potter) for the kiddies ;)

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

But making something out of nothing is half the fun! Who wants to buy all their parts?

Around 1980 I wanted to build a rifle for my 11 yo son. A friend sold me a stock blank and buttplate for $5 he was working on it for his wife and he messed up the butt area so I cut that off. The barrel was rifled by a friend but had a flaw 6" from the end so I cut that off and recrowned. I made the thimbles, sideplate, trigger, patchbox, toe plate. The result was a nice little rifle for a boy which was made from junk parts.
Picture 8-12-05 002.jpg

Years ago , was unpacking a ceiling structure of a new x-ray room. The packing crate was banded by slightly thinner than 1/8 " thickness , by 1" width steel strapping. After cutting the steel strap off the skid , I inadvertantly held one of the straps out straight , and the strap sagged like a cooked noodle. Instantaneously if not quicker , I knew this was my future source of Southern Mtn. rifle trigger guards , and butt plates. I laughed out loud at how fast the human brain can bounce back and forth from a complex science engineering project , to a simple m/l rifle build. ........Other junk used for rifle builds....Electrical box covers are a good thickness steel for single trigger plates , and toe plates. Was looking through a friend's m/l barrel junk bucket in the corner of his wood shop. Found a reject 42" Getz oct. m/l barrel. My friend said the barrel was bent , and I could have it to take home . The bore was so odd , I studied it for six weeks , 'til I figured out the problem. Only the last 6 inches of the tapered and flared barrel was slightly bent. A little prudent measurement , and the electric hacksaw fixed the problem in a min.. Perfect Getz smooth rifle barrel. Had a solid burl walnut precarved early Lancaster wood butt stock , a reject due to a knot at the entry thimble. Added a precarved walnut forestock to the cripple , and my dream of my first .555 cal. smooth rifle was realized. Always looking for junk stuff to make things , that's what a coal miners son does.

I used a piece of angle iron to make a sight as well.

View attachment 318774

View attachment 318775
Good Grief Eric!! That is NICE. Awesome work!1 what thickness of angle is that. 1/4 x 1/4?
A little off subject, but I;m into snakes. What kind does your son find out there
Eastern Hog nose, Kings, Black Racers, Corn, Rat, The occasional venomous species too, like Eastern Diamond backs, canebrakes, pygmy's, copperheads. But mostly around here we have alot of the non venomous species with the hog nose topping the list. Mainly because we have alot of toad frogs. The hog nose is such a cool little snake, funny little critters.

I have used a fairly thick commercial brass kick plate to make hardware for a trade rifle. Including trigger guard and buttplate.

On the farm, we have a fireplace insert that I intend to cut up for the steel. Should make for good steel hardware.

Grew up next to a switch yard for the railroad. The local old timers said it was a stockyard for cattle back in the day, if so it was long before my time. It's possible some spikes followed me home. Thanks for the rear sight idea!

Railroad scrap metal clanger target.........Fish plate and a spike. U need an arc welder for this trick. Weld the end of one link of two connected links of heavy chain leaving the two links loosely connected at a right angle to the back and top of a fish plate. Weld the pointy end of a spike to the loose chain link. This will be a "clanger" on the back side of the fish plate. Lay and weld a 10 " PC. of junk rebar across the top of the fish plate and support the fish plate assembly between heavy washers welded to a pair of simple "A" frame supports so the fish plate clanger assy hangs between the two "A"frame sides. This device is a noisy metal m/l target , w/enhanced sound of a hit. Another coal country invention made from junk , and a little electricity.

Good Grief Eric!! That is NICE. Awesome work!1 what thickness of angle is that. 1/4 x 1/4?

Eastern Hog nose, Kings, Black Racers, Corn, Rat, The occasional venomous species too, like Eastern Diamond backs, canebrakes, pygmy's, copperheads. But mostly around here we have alot of the non venomous species with the hog nose topping the list. Mainly because we have alot of toad frogs. The hog nose is such a cool little snake, funny little critters.
Thanks. Nice assortment. I used to hunt Okeetee and the Chelsea Plantation in the 60's/70's but snake hunters have worn out their welcome since then. Plenty of good cover in the low country still exists but trespassing is a problem. I don't collect, just photograph.

Latest posts

Back