• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey's I'm ready

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work Robby.
Can you please, maybe, start another topic and explain your process of sight regulation during the build?

Also, what make barrel and profile? Seems too few folks are making their smoothbores with barrels longer than 46" and seems most are 44"

I can't wait for you turkey hunting posts.
I'll get to it when I can Brokennock, right now I am getting all the gear ready for tapping my maple trees, drill, taps, buckets, iron cauldron, firewood, rain shields, Sheesh, I'm wearing myself out thinking about it.
Robby

I'll get to it when I can Brokennock, right now I am getting all the gear ready for tapping my maple trees, drill, taps, buckets, iron cauldron, firewood, rain shields, Sheesh, I'm wearing myself out thinking about it.
Robby
Getting a little late start eh? 😆
Most folks around here in CT. have their tubing run or their buckets hung.
I hope you have a good season.

Funny how maple is so often considered a "fall flavor" even though it is an early spring product.

I’d love to take a whole month off sometime and spend the whole season in the field. Just requested a day off for a long weekend in April to hunt with my pop in NM. Shooting turkey targets with my Pedersoli this weekend. I’ll post the targets.

I’d love to take a whole month off sometime and spend the whole season in the field. Just requested a day off for a long weekend in April to hunt with my pop in NM. Shooting turkey targets with my Pedersoli this weekend. I’ll post the targets.
Gould’s, Merriams or Rios?

Merriams. We are in the Mogollan range across AZ/NM
I’ve been applying for a couple years for Gould’s. Have a friend who wants to take me chasing merriams. A life goal of mine is to get a royal slam with a flintlock, which hopefully starts next year

I’ve been applying for a couple years for Gould’s. Have a friend who wants to take me chasing merriams. A life goal of mine is to get a royal slam with a flintlock, which hopefully starts next year
That would be an incredible accomplishment. I haven’t tried putting in for Gould’s, but it has always gnawed at me to try and get a tag.

That would be an incredible accomplishment. I haven’t tried putting in for Gould’s, but it has always gnawed at me to try and get a tag.
We have Rio’s and Easterns here in Kansas. I think the Osceola will be the most difficult

I'm heading to Mexico at the end of May to hunt Gould's in the Sierra Madres. Never could figure out a way to get my flintlock smoothbore down there so I'll be hunting them with a recurve.

Darren
Whoever your working with down there should be able to supply you? Make sure if you see any banditos that you ask them for their badges.

Whoever your working with down there should be able to supply you? Make sure if you see any banditos that you ask them for their badges.

Trust me, I have been investigating this for almost a year. If my flintlock was a production gun, complete with make, model, and serial number, then it would be no problem. Instead, it's made with a few parts purchased from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and some manufactured by the gunsmith who put it together for me. Without a serial number, I am SOL.

Darren

Trust me, I have been investigating this for almost a year. If my flintlock was a production gun, complete with make, model, and serial number, then it would be no problem. Instead, it's made with a few parts purchased from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply and some manufactured by the gunsmith who put it together for me. Without a serial number, I am SOL.

Darren
I thought the only way to hunt Gould’s in Mexico was to get on with an outfitter that supplies the guns. That bringing a gun into the country could get you in big trouble, but the ranches have huge arsenals of weapons to lend hunters?

I thought the only way to hunt Gould’s in Mexico was to get on with an outfitter that supplies the guns. That bringing a gun into the country could get you in big trouble, but the ranches have huge arsenals of weapons to lend hunters?
It is easier to have a guide supply a gun, but not required

The big hole just north of the head is from the patched .570 round ball I shot to verify that my sights would put the shot exactly where they tell me to aim.
Tarpon, the load was 80gr. ff, 1-1/2 oz. #4 and #6 shot mixed, configured in the barrel exactly as Skychief described. I have been using this shot for decades because a guy gave me a two liter bottle of it and I still have at least a half bottle left. I've never taken a turkey with a modern gun and never lost one either, so I have confidence in the duplex mix.
I'm still pumped, HAH!!!!!
Robby
Tell me more about this duplex load. Do you just mix the shot together,or do you load half one size then half the other size in your barrel ?

I can't really answer that for you Bigpete. A guy gave it to me years ago and I have no recollection as to why or how much of each size was mixed in. Sorry.
Robby

I can't really answer that for you Bigpete. A guy gave it to me years ago and I have no recollection as to why or how much of each size was mixed in. Sorry.
Robby
Ok,well you have a bit,its obviously all mixed together 😁 I'm going to give it a go, I've got Aussie size 2 and size 6.5 shot and i reckon it would work great mixed together

I cut some old Remington duplex loads apart and the shot was a mix of 4and 5 . When for turkey I pour 4/5 in large plastic cup and mix. works for me !

Back