• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey with a round ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't hunted turkey since I moved to missiouri in Arkansas where I lived for 30 years I think you had to use shot. They didn't want people popping turkey from 100 yards away.

As I recall, Texas allows it, or at least parts of Texas. I know several folks who ding them with modern centerfires. They seem pretty upstanding, so I hadn't questioned the legality.

In Virginia you can use round ball or rifle. I'm hoping to shoot one this year with a .32

Florida only allows #2 shot or smaller on public land. On private land rimfire cartridges are allowed. I don't think centerfires are and have never seen anything about PRB although it might be legal on private land. :idunno:

In Montana you can in the fall season (except for a couple of areas). Spring season is limited to shotgun (breech loaded or muzzle-loaded) and archery.

I stand corrected, On private land in Florida almost everything is legal on private land for non-migratory birds including turkeys. The regs don't mention muzzleloaders but they say it's legal with all legal shotguns, rifles, pistols, and bows. I assume that "rifle" means muzzleloaders too.

Here in Michigan it's #4 shot or smaller (you sure wouldn't want to go much smaller). Modern or muzzleloader for turkey.

Minnesota is 20 ga or larger and nothing bigger than #4's.

I understand that North Carolina requires a smoothbore, but does not say anything about size of shot, so another member here used a smoothie with a single piece of "shot" the size of his bore! :grin:

BrownBear said:
As I recall, Texas allows it, or at least parts of Texas. I know several folks who ding them with modern centerfires. They seem pretty upstanding, so I hadn't questioned the legality.

BrownBear is right. We have a few screwy rules though, and to make it more confusing, the rules vary from county to county, and also on some public vs private land. Some public land areas specify what shot size you must use, etc. In my county for example, on private land, I can use a rifle during the fall season, but have to use a shotgun during the spring season. Now weather I use a smoothbore shotgun (modern or ML doesn't matter) and fire shot, or go get a fully modern rifled slug gun and fire a slug out of it, well, legally speaking, that it completely up to me and legal either way. I use a .54 flint smoothrifle and fire a RB for both spring and fall seasons. Keeps me legal, and every now and then, I even manage to find a cooperative (read that as stupid) turkey, but most times I don't.

Wisconsin..#4 shot or smaller...no single projectiles.

Would love to hunt them with my 32 cal. squirrel rifle....

2 weeks ago "God" was tempting me.....
Awesome to watch..Under the crab tree which had been rattled to drop more apples.
Not often do I get to watch 5 toms on the bigger size hanging out.What a day.

in the zone....just click..to view..Yes the tom on the left..look... that dark line hanging under is his beard almost to the ground.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1556/24878981856_8fa9c99057_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oklahoma is shotgun only in the spring, however, our muzzleloading deer season and fall turkey season overlap one weekend, allowing you to take one with a round ball! A .535 prb does a job on 'em!

Back