• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Club......again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Brooks

Cannon
Reaction score
Throw a post against the wall enough and hopefully it will finally stick. :surrender:
Here's what I'm hunting turkeys with this year.
013.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

007.jpg

004.jpg

This is a Club Butt Fowling gun from around the Marshfield Mass. area ca. 1770's.
46" oct/rnd Colerain 11 bore barrel with .037 jug choke. Chambers Germanic
lock, Davis French trigger guard with a curly ash stock. I've been saving this stock
back for the past 30 years for a gun like this as the grain structure is perfectly bent
to the wrist. No butt plate, side plate or ram rod entry pipe, this gun is intended
for the field. The butt measures 5 1/4" X 2 1/16". The gun weighs 8 3/4 lbs and has
a 13 5/8" trigger pull. It carries a hand split hickory rod that is 5/8" at the big end.
It has a moderately distressed finish with some 18th century style carved "graffiti".

Here's a bunch more pictures.
Club butt pics

I'll say it again, my favorite type of fowler, hands down, 10/10 on all accounts. :thumbsup: Outstanding.

Geeze, I thought I was going to see a nice, triple decker sandwich, cut into quarters, with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and those neat little toothpicks with the tassels on them speared into each segment, sitting on the counter at Woolworths!?! :grin:
Still, its a very nice gun.
Robby

Nice gun(for the 3rd time).
My post count keeps going the wrong way by commenting in any of Mike Brooks latest threads. It's like the Bermuda Triangle or somethin.

Robby said:
Geeze, I thought I was going to see a nice, triple decker sandwich, cut into quarters, with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and those neat little toothpicks with the tassels on them speared into each segment, sitting on the counter at Woolworths!?! :grin:
Still, its a very nice gun.
Robby
Well, I hope it eventually helps make Turkey samiches! :haha:

Thanks for the comments guys. It's kind of neat haveing one of my own guns after many years. Hopefully I'll be able to make a deer rifle for this fall too. :thumbsup:

I was in Marshfield, Mass. last week and the town is mostly made up of marshlands, cranberry bogs, scrub, I could definitely see that fowler being an absolutely ideal gun for that terrain. :hatsoff:

Mike,

Very nicely done. I like the lack of side and butt plate, less flash in the woods. At 46", this must be your carbine version?

Greg

Mike, another enchanting creation. Love the scroll detail at the ramrod entry.
Some of my folks have been in Middleborough, an afternoon's walk from Marshfield, since the 1640s. This makes your gun especially interesting to me. Hope you whack that turkey with her!

Mike... Thanks for posting your turkey getter! :thumbsup:
Hope one walks in front of you!
Send a grinning picture!

Greg Wilkins said:
Mike,

Very nicely done. I like the lack of side and butt plate, less flash in the woods. At 46", this must be your carbine version?

Greg
It is a little stubby isn't it. :haha:

BillinOregon said:
Mike, another enchanting creation. Love the scroll detail at the ramrod entry.
Some of my folks have been in Middleborough, an afternoon's walk from Marshfield, since the 1640s. This makes your gun especially interesting to me. Hope you whack that turkey with her!
Collectors have been calling these club butt fowling guns "Marshfield guns" for years as they were commonly made in that area.I only recently learned that and figured it would make some excellent period graffiti.

This was a fun gun for me to make. I just eliminated all the parts that aren't fun to inlet! :haha: But, it's still historically correct. The wood was hard as all get out and slowed me down some but I ended up with about 5 or 6 half days of labor on it. Can't afford to put much time into my own stuff so this worked out well. My deer rifle will be a stripped down model as well. I have a set of original set triggers as well as an original percussion lock I could use.....I just don't know if percussion would ruin my reputation or not. :haha: Might mess up my mojo.... :shocked2:

Back