• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A pair of biguns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are 8 ga guns legal for hunting. Sure not in PA.
In PA there is no maximum on muzzleloading shotgun, smoothbore or rifle for big game -which includes turkey. For deer the minimum is 44 cal rifle, 50 cal pistol, but other than some requirements around projectile or shot size, there's no upper limit even on modern arms. For small game the max is 10-ga for any shotgun.

Those'll make into a heckuva porch-sweeper, should the need for one arise. Friend of mine had a twice-barrel 8 gauge percussion with 18-inch barrels. I made the mistake (once !) of letting him touch it off while I was off to the side but less than 10 feet away and the shock wave like to knocked me down. He offered to let me fire it but I passed.

In PA there is no maximum on muzzleloading shotgun, smoothbore or rifle for big game -which includes turkey. For deer the minimum is 44 cal rifle, 50 cal pistol, but other than some requirements around projectile or shot size, there's no upper limit even on modern arms. For small game the max is 10-ga for any shotgun.

I thought the 10 gauge limit was for everything, I checked the law and regs and indeed I was wrong. Although, flinging such a huge ball of lead for deer seems like it would hurt. I have a 1 inch bore smooth bore partially completed. Seems I may be able to hunt with it, although I doubt I would want to. However, the rule for muzzle loaders for deer is still single barrel
"be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition."

The laws are silly when considering muzzleloading shot guns. I could load this gun like a 20 gauge or a 12, or an 8 guage. The size of the bore really isn't an issue when you consider reality. I'll probably load with 1 3/4oz or so because I don't want to take a beating. This gun would easily throw 3oz+ if you had an urge to go magnum.
I patterned a cutomers turkey gun I built for him years ago. It was a 10 bore with a 50" barrel and loaded with 2 1/2oz shot. It was like getting hit in the head with a wet mop every time I pulled the trigger!🤯

Back