• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tuning & Repairing BP Revolvers, How To....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They come that way from Pietta.
Ive owned two, neither worked when I got them.

and yes you can go overboard. See everything, choose what you want to do carefully.
I bought a spring kit, 10 springs. Ive used 2 of them so far.
Got four Piettas and have 0 issues with them except swapping out the nipples for Slixshots which I have done for my Ubertis too.

Yes, not to mention if you convert the flat action springs to coils, you end up with a 19th century version of a Ruger ( which I've done for years) but especially with the main spring converted to the Ruger coil and strut like this!!

View attachment 222392

Mike
Mike your revolver action improvement methods & craftmanship are amazing !
If I was 40 years younger & able to still compete with custom replica revolvers I
had reworked I would have sent them to you instead of doing it myself.
That said, could be that 40 years ago you might have been a toddler 😂
Relic shooter

Mike does amazing work for sure.
Who is this guy at Goons, Mike? How to contact? I may have to have him breath on a few. I have a sheriff I'd like to get worked over and just maybe this new .36 I got from billinoregon. That one may be my favorite, just seems flawless as is and have yet to shoot it (this weekend maybe?), Thanks

Who is this guy at Goons, Mike? How to contact? I may have to have him breath on a few. I have a sheriff I'd like to get worked over and just maybe this new .36 I got from billinoregon. That one may be my favorite, just seems flawless as is and have yet to shoot it (this weekend maybe?), Thanks
Yes, reach out to Mike, @45D, Goons Gun Works. He’ll fix you up.

Yes, not to mention if you convert the flat action springs to coils, you end up with a 19th century version of a Ruger ( which I've done for years) but especially with the main spring converted to the Ruger coil and strut like this!!

View attachment 222392

Mike
Yeah, I've converted several of my match BP cartridge rifles to coil and strut main springs. This along with a sear lift makes fine match triggers on them as well.
Coils are slower than flat springs but not enough speed change to notice as far as accuracy is concerned.

Last edited:
The Remington geometry isn't too main spring friendly as far as needing tension at rest for keeping the hammer engaged with a safety notch . . . especially if the main is lightened. Likewise with an unmentionable conversion as well ( even lighter!). The nice thing about the coil main in the Remington is that BECAUSE of the geometry the coil offers more tension at rest. The results gives a much nicer feel across the board as well as a much more consistently weighted hammer through the cycle. I think it's actually better than the Ruger!! So the "Reminger" may be a better Ruger as far as function !!

Mike

If it ain't broke, we will fix it till it is.:ghostly:

Just the exact opposite!! There's not a factory offering that can't be made better, and "broke" revolvers don't win championships! 🤣
( and some wouldn't know the difference between a Rolex and a Timex so no, don't waste your money)

Mike

Latest posts

Back