• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tuning & Repairing BP Revolvers, How To....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike the original Gen1 Single actions and USFA guns spell "COLT" when cocked. The repops do not.
Respectfully
Bunk

Yessir, the SAA and copies should but all the previous S.A.'s are just "3 clickers". It's the presence of a safety notch that gives you 4 clicks.

Mike

Mike the original Gen1 Single actions and USFA guns spell "COLT" when cocked. The repops do not.
Respectfully
Bunk
My Uberti 1873 SAA unmentionable has 4 clicks. The old stile frame with the retaining screw has 4 clicks. The ones with the side pin and added hammer safety have 3 clicks.

Last edited:
Yap, the old safety notch was the location for a rod in the hammer that deployed a steel block between the hammer and the frame. I think it was the best "safety" mechanism ever put in a S.A. You could safely load six with hammer down on a chunk of steel between it and the frame.
The "new" retractable firing pin is a nice safety and allows hammer down on a live round . . . without a transfer bar that calls for a non-traditional profile hammer.
Some cowboy shooters have a tough time transitioning to the new setup because the trigger has to stay in the "fired" position until the hammer fully drops . . . otherwise, a ftf will probably occur.

Mike

I've watched Blackie's entire series on percussion revolvers (probably 150+ videos) and in fact it's what got me into black powder so I credit him for that. It's fun to hear him talk about these old guns and I like his southern accent. Maybe not everything he says is 100% accurate but he does know a lot. Most importantly, he never does or recommends anything unsafe. Mostly he shares what he knows about the history, how he makes small modifications, antiques some of them, cleaning, breakdowns, etc... I've never heard him claim to be a gunsmith or expert or anything like that. As far as using files or a Dremel, I've only seen him use that to make small notches in a hammer. It's an informative series that is very helpful to new shooters, and in my opinion nothing he says will steer anyone wrong, get them hurt, or make them screw up their gun.
Likewise. I got my first BP revolver (Pietta steel bodied Remington) after exhaustively watching his material. He has also been gracious enough to answer me directly when I've had queries.

Please understand I have no ax to grind with Blackie.. I agree with a lot of his material and watch him from time to time.
He does a lot of shooting and working to improve his guns. Good for him.
I do disagree with using a file on anything but roughing out a part. Metal once gone is gone forever. My preference is stones to polish not remove.
Also Blackie is definitely from the South East area either Alabama , Georgia, or South Carolina. he has that
"Magnolia in his mouth "accent and I love it.
Respectfully
Bunk.
Central Alabama.

Wait a sec... are you saying they don't know anything about cap guns? 'Cause my 1st four cap guns were set up by an exceptional gunsmith out of CA. And they're first rate.

No, I was suggesting that "hopefully" S.B.H. hadn't been influenced by another "prolific" YouTube "self-taught gunsmith " that would basically teach him how to ruin his revolvers. At least the YouTuber says to buy "lots of spare parts" . . . if you follow his advice, you'll definitely need them !!! 😆

Mike

A good tune up sure makes a difference.

Yes, not to mention if you convert the flat action springs to coils, you end up with a 19th century version of a Ruger ( which I've done for years) but especially with the main spring converted to the Ruger coil and strut like this!!

20230517_164304.jpg

Mike

Yes, not to mention if you convert the flat action springs to coils, you end up with a 19th century version of a Ruger ( which I've done for years) but especially with the main spring converted to the Ruger coil and strut like this!!

View attachment 222392

Mike
Mike, one of these days before we leave this earth, I’m going to send you a couple of my revolvers so you can work your magic.

Mike, one of these days before we leave this earth, I’m going to send you a couple of my revolvers so you can work your magic.

Wow thanks!! I'd be glad to!

It certainly did. The cap pistols aren't my wheelhouse so I put in a box and mailed it to that fellar at Goons gun shop. :) It's been flawless since.

Thanks
O.R.

Thank you sir!!! I appreciate that!

Mike

Latest posts

Back