• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tungsten carbide as a flint replacement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenjoytj

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to use a piece of tungsten carbide sized and shaped like a cut agate flint in their flintlocks?

It would probably last a long time, but would it make sparks?

If it would spark like natural english flint (or better) I suspect the frizzen would have a life span the same as being struck by natural flint.

Sounds like it would work, but how much would it cost? Flints not purchased at retail can be really cheap, and I don't think very many people shoot their flintlock enough to need such a long lasting flint. Those who do like the flint aspect.

What about a ferro-cerium frizzen and a "flint" made out of steel?

To the best of my knowledge, Tungsten Carbide does not produce any sparks at all when it hits hardened steel.

To validate my suspecisions I just struck a hardened file with the sharp edge of a Tungsten Carbide reamer. It cut thru the hardened steel without a problem but not one spark was made. Just some very fine pieces of hardened file. (Glad it was an old dull file. :grin: )

As for the man made ceramics and powdered metal products the ceramics would produce sparks but this idea isn't new.

Those crappy formed "flints" that some places used to sell to the unsuspecting were a ceramic that tried to replace real flints without much success.

Personally I wouldn't try it, from fear of what it would do to my frizzen. Flint is cheap and easy to get.

flyfisher76544 said:
Personally I wouldn't try it, from fear of what it would do to my frizzen. Flint is cheap and easy to get.
I think TungCar would cut the steel without much spark And i don't think you could nap a fresh edge on it in the field. My question is. Whats wrong with a hardened frizzen and good old Arkansas or English flint? Sounds like trying to reinvent the wheel to me. :hmm:

There seems to be something about Flintlocks that makes a number of us focus on the cost and longevity of a flint and start thinking about alternatives when we first start out...I did myself, even trying one of those synthetic Dura-Flints".

In hindsight it was because my initial venture into Flintlocks was with sawed agate 'flints', elephant powder, an old style TC lock that bashed flints, plus not knowing anything about what I was doing.
(PS: that I overcame all that and now shoot nothing but Flintlocks is a miracle)
:grin:

Once I tried black english flints and Goex powder ignition was no longer a problem.
And after getting TC's locks upgraded to the new improved style I no longer had longevity problems with flint life.

That only left cost and after the above improvements in flint life, the per-shot-cost was about the same as the cost of a cap for a caplock, or a primer for reloading modern rifle/pistol/shotgun ammo.
And once I knew I was hooked on Flintlocks, I've bought them in bulk for the lowest possible price ever since

roundball said:
There seems to be something about Flintlocks that makes a number of us focus on the cost and longevity of a flint and start thinking about alternatives when we first start out...I did myself, even trying one of those synthetic Dura-Flints".

In hindsight it was because my initial venture into Flintlocks was with sawed agate 'flints', elephant powder, an old style TC lock that bashed flints, plus not knowing anything about what I was doing.
(PS: that I overcame all that and now shoot nothing but Flintlocks is a miracle)
:grin:

Once I tried black english flints and Goex powder ignition was no longer a problem.
And after getting TC's locks upgraded to the new improved style I no longer had longevity problems with flint life.

That only left cost and after the above improvements in flint life, the per-shot-cost was about the same as the cost of a cap for a caplock, or a primer for reloading modern rifle/pistol/shotgun ammo.
And once I knew I was hooked on Flintlocks, I've bought them in bulk for the lowest possible price ever since

I see. the only real alteration I have made was switching to Black english flints ( which I found a really cheap source of on Amazon.com of all places. Bought all they had). I have had some good arkansas flints but they wear out fast it seems. Learning to case harden frizzens was fun. It seems the more stuff I can do myself the happier I am. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Greenjoytj said:
Has anyone tried to use a piece of tungsten carbide sized and shaped like a cut agate flint in their flintlocks?

It would probably last a long time, but would it make sparks?

If it would spark like natural english flint (or better) I suspect the frizzen would have a life span the same as being struck by natural flint.

Why would I bother?
I also seriously doubt it will out last a gun flint. Carbide is brittle and does not like impacts.
Its also expensive.
This is assuming it would spark at all. Which it might if it will tear metal from the frizzen.

Dan

Well, i hate to sound like my great uncle, the world- class curmudgeon, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it ... the flint system has been tinkered with ad naseum, and the only improvement over what was used in the 18th century is better metalurgy. God bless the Bessemer converter!

Just one guy's free range opinion, and no doubt worth the price.

In 40+ years of flint shooting I have never used a better flint than the German cut ones. They last and last and last and are reliable. Even though I am from Arkansas and would like to support our States' industries I have to say the Arkansas not-really-flints have never worked for me in several locks. And, I do mean "never worked". For those who like them, I am happy for you. They really are made from novoculite which is the same as our, really great, sharpening stones. In recent years finding good English black flints is nearly impossible. Those with the big humps just won't stay in the jaws. I am a fan of the cut flints.

Funny how experiences do differ, I've never gotten decent life nor great sparks from a cut flint.

Flaten them humpbacks!

IMG_3857.jpg

Green, for what it's worth...the Yankees I hunt with up in n.w. Pa. seem to like using such a thing. They work in a steel mill and get these bits from one of the machinasts. It's a 5/8 X 5/8 black carbide (??) bit...about 1/4in. thick with a hole in the middle. (I assume for mounting in a tool holder?) They use 'em in their T/C's and they seem to work about as reliable as one can expect in a T/C. To look at 'em you wouldn't even think the square edges of the things would spark. But they do. Some of them fellers have been using the same one for dozens of years. Can't say I'm seeing any unusual wear on the frizzens but we usually install Lyman frizzens on their T/C's. Audie...the Oldfart

Did you flatten the flints your self ,how did you do that ? They look like English flints that have been re-worked.

Fellas, years ago I was given a flintlock rifle sans bbl, I rebarreled it. The feller got a new custom gun, the gun I got had a non sparking frizzen. I talked to folks about rehardening the frizzen. I tried everything and then some. I eventually plumb ruined the frizzen. the gun and lock was originally a european import. couldnt locate a new lock or any frizzen parts. In despiration here is what I did.I took the aluminum oxide striker out of one of my military magnesum firestarters. I ground a deep notch in the useless frizen and epoxied the strike into place, they cut easy with a hacksaw, and can be filed or ground easily. I used a cur ark flint and tried. My lord it looked like a roman candle going off. Plenty of sparks. Yeah I know it aint pc correct but I was desperate. that flinter fires every time, never have put a new lock on the gun, it was one of my first flinters, I have got several more so I just left old reliable alone. Kind of a odd fix, but fellas it works REAL GOOD. I leaving it alone, If you get in a bind try it. When practcality overshadows period correctness. It work GOOD yours hounddog

They are Tom Fuller flints. I used a jig I made for my tile cutting diamond blade saw. It is easy and quick. Flat flints that tighten in the jaws of the cock properly make a big difference in longevity. They just plain work better. I have a picture that I have posted many times but I can do it again if you would like to see the jig.

Can't say I'm seeing any unusual wear on the frizzens but we usually install Lyman frizzens on their T/C's.

This procedure alone would cause me to be concerned. That they didn't know much about flintlocks! :hmm:
You are replacing a lifetime garranteed frizzen with one that is marginaly no better?

Back