• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tung oil "waterproof"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsetrader

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Another question for the gunstock finish:
Would tungoil seal the gunstock? Or do I need to put something else on the stock to get the wood stable????

Tung Oil or Permalyn will seal it. Don't forget the lock inlet, trigger inlet, RR hole to the end, under the buttplate & toeplate & etc. Mop up any excess with a screwdriver tip & a ling free rag so it doesn't mess up your trim fits when ya go back on with it.
:wink:

I'm sure some of them were varnished.
Varnish in one form or another has been around for over 2250 years.

Speaking of varnish, the Encyclopedia Britannica says
"...At the beginning of the 20th century, tung oil and other drying oils began to be used as replacements for linseed oil, and synthetic resins began to replace the naturally occurring resins."

That imply's to me that Tung oil is far from a historic oil to use on a gun that replicates an original which was made prior to 1900.

I think that tung oil came from china in the late 1800...
Linseed oil was used but whar did the use to make it try faster? When was something as a japan drier invented?

Seal it with Permalyn or Tru-Oil, then put tung oil on it after that if that is the finish you want to use. Tung oil is not waterproo, the othere tow are.

:thumbsup:

"Use pure tung oil, not the varnish "Tung Oil Finish"es."

I meant to point out that 'tung oil' and those labeled 'tung oil finish' are not the same.

I might mention that the U.S. Government at one time decided to use Tung oil as a finish on some military guns but they changed their mind after a number of troops started breaking out in rashes.

Come to find out, some people are allergic to Tung oil so, anyone wanting to use it needs to find out if they are among these people.

The only thing I have found about Japan Driers is given at Wikipedia which says,

"Japan drier is a common lay term and generic product name for any oil drying agent that can be mixed with drying oils such as boiled linseed oil and alkyd resin paints to speed up "drying"."

Back