• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tundra Swan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I drew a North Carolina tundra swan tag this year. I plan on taking my Dixie 10 gauge double loaded with bismuth(and my unmentionable shotgun, just in case they refuse to fly close enough).

Anybody every tried downing one of those 747s with their muzzleloader? Open to any input!

It has been a long time, I think 1997 in the Albemarle sound. We were on a little island where the swans crossed over before touch down. No decoys or formal blind, just lying on the island. I had a 12-gauge loaded with a 92 grain scoop of #2 steel shot, equal amount of powder. 5 swans came in down the flight path my host had predicted. Somewhere around 30-yards I let loose on the lead bird, and then followed up with the second one. The bird came down like a brick and landed about 5-feet from me with a loud "thump". A taxidermist in Washington, NC did a great job on it!

It has been a long time, I think 1997 in the Albemarle sound. We were on a little island where the swans crossed over before touch down. No decoys or formal blind, just lying on the island. I had a 12-gauge loaded with a 92 grain scoop of #2 steel shot, equal amount of powder. 5 swans came in down the flight path my host had predicted. Somewhere around 30-yards I let loose on the lead bird, and then followed up with the second one. The bird came down like a brick and landed about 5-feet from me with a loud "thump". A taxidermist in Washington, NC did a great job on it!
That sounds like a great hunt! I will be hunting crop fields with a friend who is also a guide and has blinds and decoys. He has a very good success rate and is excited to see the muzzleloader in use as he has never had anyone use one.
5 feet is close! Definitely do not want one of those things crash landing on you.

When lead shot was being phased out, a friend of mine, Larry O'Connell, did the testing for the ammo manufacturing companies. He determined that the 10 bore black powder shotgun was superior to any other he tried, and was capable of clean kills on geese to 80 yards. You should find similar for swans. I forget what size shot he was using, and since he has passed away, I can't ask.
I've never shot one, although we have thousands in this area during migration. I've been seeing quite a few moving already.

That’s awesome. Those things are the size of a turkey! Never hunted swans, but I’ve kilt more than my fair share of Sandhill Cranes. They’re giant too, but not half as plump.
IMG_0741.jpeg

If you need a first hand account, Barbie at Jim Chambers shop has a story about tundra swans in outer banks. She has a purpose built 10g and hunted from a boat. She was gracious enough to allow me to handle the gun. You would not guess it was a big bore. Beautifully built rifle, and yes, she got her bird.

Well, the 10 gauge was the only gun in the blind that brought down a tundra swan today. Rest of the boys with their semi-autos failed to score. Got mine at a little over 30 yards with the left barrel which is supposed to be a modified choke. Tough hunting day with dense early morning fog followed by a lot of birds flying later but staying mostly out of range.

I drew a North Carolina tundra swan tag this year. I plan on taking my Dixie 10 gauge double loaded with bismuth(and my unmentionable shotgun, just in case they refuse to fly close enough).

Anybody every tried downing one of those 747s with their muzzleloader? Open to any input!
Yes. Pedersoli 10 guage loaded with 1 over shot card over, 1.75 oz RotoMetals bismuth size BB, over 4 over shot cards over, 100 grains of Shuetzen fffg or even ffffg powder. You need a bid payload of large shot over A LOT of FINE powder to generate A LOT of velocity. Forget steel shot. It won't work in a ML. Mine is a cylinder/modified.

I don't care to listen to the nervous nanncies on rated shot/powder amount. You have to use what works or stay home.

My best patterning load (and the one that brought down the swan today) ended up at 110 grains of 1f Swiss, dry over powder card, lubed over powder card, 1 5/8 ounce of sphero-bismuth BB, another dry over powder card. Patterning on paper gave me an average of 83 out of 92 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 25 yards.

Well, the 10 gauge was the only gun in the blind that brought down a tundra swan today. Rest of the boys with their semi-autos failed to score. Got mine at a little over 30 yards with the left barrel which is supposed to be a modified choke. Tough hunting day with dense early morning fog followed by a lot of birds flying later but staying mostly out of range.
Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back