• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to decide between 12-bore and 10-bore for a New England fowler build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 12-bore and 10-bore for a New England fowler build using a Chambers kit. The gun will be used as a hunting gun for upland birds, waterfowl, and turkey. I already have a Fusil de Chase in 20-bore/62-caliber that I hunt with, but want something a bit larger. What would you build, and more importantly, why?

I would go with the 12, unless you just want a ten for it’s unusual factor.
A ten won’t add a foot. to your range. It will be heavier and in an eighteenth century fowler won’t have the grace of a smaller gun.
But you won’t have the wow factor.
get both, send me the one you don’t like as much.

It all depends on the quarry for upland game and waterfowl a 12 would be OK and also for a odd day at clays ,
Feltwad

I’ve built 2 of them in 10g. Both were to use for turkey and large game. With a jug choke, nothing can reach out and touch something quite like that. Turkey at 50 yards with shot, round all at 25.
2ADEF227-2909-4B4C-B509-7339969633F7.jpeg
DCBE2818-CE22-41E2-9286-A4B1777C25AE.jpeg
DCBE2818-CE22-41E2-9286-A4B1777C25AE.jpeg

I would go with the 12, unless you just want a ten for it’s unusual factor.
A ten won’t add a foot. to your range. It will be heavier and in an eighteenth century fowler won’t have the grace of a smaller gun.
But you won’t have the wow factor.
get both, send me the one you don’t like as much.

The Chambers kit is available in 12, 11, and 10 gauge, all made from the same barrel blank. The 10 gauge is the exact same size as the 12, and is quite a bit lighter. In that kit it does not make sense to get anything other than the 10 gauge, unless you want the extra weight.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 10 if you primarily intend to shoot shot. Like stated above, it will be lighter than the 12. Plus as Rich said, you will certainly turn heads with a 10 gauge.

Didn't Barbie Chambers kill a snow goose, (or a swan?), a couple of years ago with one of these in a 10 bore down in North Carolina?

Back