• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRS Wall gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My wall gun is all original apart from a rubbish pintle swivel. I just got the Rifle Shoppe version which I believe to be a copy of the swivel on de Witt Bailey's gun.

It doesn't fit, it looks like it has been trodden on by a large ungainly horse.

I just gave it to a local blacksmith to be widened and brought back to shape.

Shame de Witt can't fix his stock like I can fix his pintle swivel :rotf: :thumbsup:

swivel.jpg

I tried it with ball at 50 then 100 yards and for an old pipe it was amazingly accurate. I tried it with driven clays and it put a big smile on my face. The over sized military lock lights every time, but you need two fingers on the trigger to work the over sized military sear spring :grin: :thumbsup:

wallgun2.jpg

At the touch hole the barrel is slightly over 2 1/4" across so you can load what you like. The question is, at what load would you rather someone else pulled the trigger :idunno: :rotf:

Squire Robin said:
At the touch hole the barrel is slightly over 2 1/4" across so you can load what you like. The question is, at what load would you rather someone else pulled the trigger :idunno: :rotf:
Sorry, I don't understand :hmm:
I asked what were the ball loads, as in you mentioned shooting a ball.
I just wanted to know how well it shot. You said it shot quite well etc.
What was the ball size and weight, what powder charge/s?
Sincerely.
B.

The barrel is good but the stock has suffered. The wood is split under the comb and the ramrod rusted in at some point. They drilled holes and eventually fetched it with a cold chisel :shocked2:

wg2.jpg

Britsmoothy said:
Sorry, I don't understand :hmm:
I asked what were the ball loads, as in you mentioned shooting a ball.

You are talking to a geriatric who has large parts of his remembery wiped clean on a regular basis by TIA's :idunno:

I guess I can have some input to this situation.

My unit has one of the TRS Wall guns. It was built by Ben Coogle. It is a 4 gauge (Approximately 0.995" diameter). We did find a mold to shoot ball. It weighs close to 40 pounds, probably due to a thicker barrel. Ours is mostly used as an artillery piece for our reenactment presentations. We use about 270 grains of powder. We usually fire blanks and even then recoil is severe. The few of us who fired that gun from the shoulder don't relish doing it again. We have used several mounts for it and use the pintle to place the gun on station. Our first experience shooting it was from a basic 4x4. It didn't take too many shots to reduce that stauntion to splinters.

We have fired ball. It is pretty awesome, We don't get much with respect to accuracy, but it sure gets attention when we touch it off.

So what did Mr Coogle do with the TRS swivel?

At the pivot point my stock is 2 7/8" wide, so I guess the yoke would have a 3" gap, rather than the 2 1/4" supplied by TRS.
At the pivot my barrel is 1 5/8" but it doesn't weigh 40 lbs :surrender:

The barrel tang has MEWIS forged on it's underside. Stockel gives one date for Mewis and Co. which is c1790 Birmingham. Sounds good to me so I am not arguing :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back