• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

German Rifle Carbines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got De Witt Bailey’s book on British flintlock rifles for Xmas. I was intrigued by his section on the French and Indian war, particular 300 rifles procured by Colonel Provost for the Royal Americans. He supposes (logically) that these were purchased in Germany since there is no record of them with the Board of Ordinance. There are no know surviving examples of those 300 but it got me wondering, what exactly would a “rifle barreled carbine” from Germany looking like from 1756? And there any surviving examples of those? Round barreled or octagon? Says they had steel tankers and bayonets but there are 1770s German octagonal barreled guns with bayonets.

Not sure , but I think the barrel length of those were not what we would consider “ carbine “ length, probably over 32” at least. Those “ German” carbines may have been actually made in Belgium or holland. Real German gunsmiths were busy with fancy rifles for the rich, I don’t think many were building rifles for issue to the troops.

There is no such thing as Germany untill 1871. There are just german speaking lands in Europe. Rifled weapons were not common in military use, but they existed. And since every german speaking kingdom and dutchy had its own armed force, including german parts of Habsburg empire, Poland and Baltics, its impossible to say what type it was. Saxony for example had rifled Karabiner M1764 with 9 lands. But thats just an example.

Last edited:
Just got De Witt Bailey’s book on British flintlock rifles for Xmas. I was intrigued by his section on the French and Indian war, particular 300 rifles procured by Colonel Provost for the Royal Americans. He supposes (logically) that these were purchased in Germany since there is no record of them with the Board of Ordinance. There are no know surviving examples of those 300 but it got me wondering, what exactly would a “rifle barreled carbine” from Germany looking like from 1756? And there any surviving examples of those? Round barreled or octagon? Says they had steel tankers and bayonets but there are 1770s German octagonal barreled guns with bayonets.
Presumably the 16 rifles with their B'nets and moulds indent give some clues the Germans seemed to make what might be called a standed Military Jager.I have a proven c 1799 rifle with a B'net provision With the same stepped whrist style little different to the well known West Point T. W .Pistor rifle . I think its thought to be Revolt war what presisly it is Is like such arms are oft questionable point being it & the 1799 ,of,1,012 rifles paid for By Ordnance but meant to Prince Eugune a Dutch Exilel .I showed my rifle to George Shumway & he just said" its a Jager'" Most Revolt war rifles did not have B nets I seem to recall the Hesse Hanouh ?troops had B nets chouse what. The known 1799 & the desired F&I connection would seem to be on the same lines Pistor was based nr Suhl my mounts c1799 & the West point Pistor have the same shape & mounts fair bet B nets & all that the F&I rifles are similar or much on similar lines 60 cal swamped Oct 28" or so barrel The B net looks more like the later ones out of Nepaul I saw one the along with 6 surviving rifles plus my own remaining ones at the Leeds R A .' Rifle carbines might cover any scant descrpition what the Royal American had in revolt war might be the 1776 'Tower rifles' 800 ex UK makers & 200 ex Hienrick Hunstoct .My spelling of a bit but Ime sure you get the drift .
Regards Rudyard

Presumably the 16 rifles with their B'nets and moulds indent give some clues the Germans seemed to make what might be called a standed Military Jager.
Also a lot of bayonets of the time were plug bayonets that were inserted into the muzzle, just prior to a melee when no time to reload.
Edit: footnote been collecting bayonets as long as guns.
An interesting footnote about bayonets is a used book store owner in Fayetteville by the University of Arkansas was in the last bayonet charge by the Army.
"Feb. 5, 1951

Lewis Millett, who led the soldiers of Easy Company, 27th Infantry Regiment, in what the Army regards as its last major bayonet charge. The charge took place at Osan on Feb. 5, 1951, according to the Army. Millett was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions that day."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back