• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Seven 3f in a .54 load suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a .54 barrel, and have a lot of 2 and 3f Triple Seven on hand. I use the 2f in my pistols, and would like to use the 3f in the .54, as I do in my .50. I'm new to the .54, and would like thoughts on a good prb hunting load. Do you think 80grs is pushing it?

My principal hunting pard is real fond of 70 grains of 3f Triple Seven under a PRB in his Lyman GPR 54. Seeing his results, it's easy to understand why.

I use about 75grns of 2F T7 with a 535 ball.
And that's a pretty hot load. I tried the 3F T7 and switched back to the 2F.

I'm curious why you use 2F in your pistols and 3F in your rifles?

I know there's a fellow who hunts with a Walker loaded up with 2F Triple 7 and a ball. He stated it helped keep the pressures lower and was a more consistent load than when using 3F.

It fills the chamber better than 3f, I've gotten excellent accuracy from it, and the pistols seem to function a little better. I saw someone on this forum mention it a year or so back, gave it a try, and the results were so good, I never looked back. I know it costs me a bit more powder, but its tough to argue with success.

As for the rifles, my .50 really likes the 3f, and since I had a bunch on hand from my old pistol stock, I'd like to use it in both. Plus, I won't have to worry about mixing up powder flasks each time I go hunting.

One thing to check with your rifle and Triple Seven. My bud reports that all of his rifles shoot a little better with grease-type lubes rather than wet lubes on the patches. No guarantee for your own gun, but this guy uses Triple Seven in something approaching a dozen rifles and has lots of experience with it.

Thanks for all the input, guys. I called hodgdon yesterday, and the guy said 100grs 3f would be the max load. Is it just me, or does that sound a bit, er, stout?

He probably thought I was simple, because I asked him to confirm it three separate times in the conversation, specifying that I was using a sidelock. I'm no expert, but that just sounds high to me. But then I looked at the T7 data sheet I downloaded from their site back in 2008, and it shows 100grs 3f max for the .50 using 370gr maxi-hunters. Still....

Years ago when I first got my first traditional muzzle loader I called TC. Asked them how much 2F Triple Seven I could use. They told me I could use up to 100 grains in a 50 cal and 120 grains in a 54 cal and their modern rifles would handle up to 150 grains. For a number of years I hunted with my 54 loaded with a 390 grain great plains bullet and the 120 grain load. It shoots very well for me too. My TC 50 cal hawken likes 90 grains of 2F Triple Seven with the Horandy great plains 385 grain bullet. While my 45 Tc Hawken likes 70 grains of 2F Triple Seven with a patched round ball. For some reason the 45 does not like conical bullets??

Yes those loads in the 50 & 54 do recoil, but you have to remember they are hunting loads, not plinking or target loads. Once the rifle is sighted in, they don't get fired again until I have a deer in front of me. I have enough other rifles to shoot that this is not a problem. If I want to shoot paper or steel, I have a nice GM barrel on a TC Hawken stock. Plus I can always dig out my TC Hawken 45 and shoot it or maybe the 36 cal Seneca.

I don't mind recoil. I do a lot of long range shooting with modern guns and handloads, so I'm used to a little kick. I like to get as much out of my rifles as can be safely done with acceptable accuracy. Emphasis on "safely". If 100grs 3f is safe in a .54, great. If not, I'll stick with something more tame.

If anyone has thoughts on the matter, I'm more than willing to listen. Right now I'm fooling around with 80-85gr, with pretty good results. Its a 1-60" twist that Bob Hoyt rebored for me up from .50. Accuracy is acceptable for hunting, 2-3" groups at 100yds, but if that caliber and twist like it a little hotter, I'm not shy about going up. I just want to be safe. Call me sentimental, but I've grown fond of each of my 10 fingers.

That's far too good a question. Now I hate you.

(on a side note, did you ever try Wipeout....good stuff)

Often thesedays when you talk to the manufacturer's Customer Service folks, you aren't talking to someone with actual direct product experience, but with someone well-versed in finding a catalog page that tells what data to give.

I've recently fired a 400 Gr. Lee Minie with 80 Gr. 2F. Lyman indicates 110 Gr. 2F max with a 450 Gr. Maxi. Cabelas posts 90 Gr. with a 425 Gr. Conical, and also 100 Gr. max with a RB.

Given the level of recoil from my 80 Gr. load and the 400 Gr. Minie, I'd never attempt anything near what Lyman and Cabelas suggest for anything within that bullet weight.

Sometimes you need to rely on a real shooter with practicval experience, and then only if it doesn't sound too far-fetched.

Don't use 3f Triple 7 in your rifle as it's designed for pistols. Since T-7 is 10-15% more energetic than the same charge of traditional black powder you need to decrease the powder charge accordingly. It is very easy to get too much 3f Triple 7 into your rifle, and by that I do not mean a dangerous amount, just that your charge will vary so much you will get inconsistent accuracy along with frustration. I have used T-7 with good results in my .54 although now I use only Goex and would suggest that you start with 65 grains of 2f Triple 7 and go up in 5 grain increments to see which gives you the best accuracy.

My .54 likes 70gr 3F 777 as a target load - very accurate around that amount. You should try both 2F and 3F and various charges to see what your rifle likes.

If I were hunting something large with it I would probably go heavier and see what I could get away with without losing acceptable accuracy. You should definitely be able to go up in the 90-100 range safely, but you'll have to decide for yourself what kind of accuracy you need for your purposes.

Back