• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried my hand at a little blacksmithing.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went over to an old teachers/close friend house last night to visit and to use his forge to play around with. Next thing I know this is what was done! I tried to go with a snake type style that I saw on another site that I liked. I'm happy with it!

forge3.jpg

forge.jpg

forge2.jpg

DSCN1593.jpg

DSCN1591.jpg

Then I finnished a knife I started a long time ago. The knife was made out of an old fileand the striker was a piece of a leaf spring. I'm going to try to make a shealth for it today and make it my new patch knife. :hmm:

DSCN1160.jpg

Nice work! Good, even curls and scrolls. Nice symitry. Those curls, scrolls, and curves look so deceptively easy to make, but too often end up with little "kinks".

And the knife turned out nice. But don't just think of it as a "patch knife". Consider using it for your cooking knife at home or when out camping - replacing that classic Paring Knife with the plastic or wood handle. Most of the little "patch knives" that I have made have ended up being ... appropriate ... for cooking duty by various friends and their spouses.

One word of warning that I give to all about blacksmithing. It is ADDICTIVE!!!! Once started, tools and equipment tend to show up at most any time, and it eats up the hours of your days like candy. TEMPERING the addiction becomes hard!

Just my humble observations to share.

Hi. My name is Mike, and I'm a blacksmith.
Hi, Mike. Welcome, and tell us your story.
Well, it all began when ....

yhs
Mike - alledged blacksmith and know iron torturer

Oh yeah, it is very adictive! I went over jus to play around and talk, but after using many welding rods to make leaves I got the idea to make a striker instead of making one. I love it, the smell, the heat, everything! I had to put a slight kink in the "neck" so I could get the look I wanted without having the "head" catch everything that it came into contact with. I appriciate your kind words, it's nice to hear I did well from an experianced worker. :bow: :hatsoff:

Nice work, I can see you hanging around junk yards and salvage yards like the rest of us.

Loyd Shindelbower
Blacksmith
Loveland Colorado

:rotf: Yeah, I've done that for a while, but now I have a group of guys that I can relate to! :grin: And all this time I thougt I was just a little nuts. :youcrazy: :rotf: Thanks guys.

Loyd said:
Nice work, I can see you hanging around junk yards and salvage yards like the rest of us.

Loyd Shindelbower
Blacksmith
Loveland Colorado
I got my own started Loyd :rotf: ...Bud

Back