• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trekking stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After starting a thread on the Trekking forum I decided to make a trekking stick.

I found a raw hickory shaft on an on line auction site and cut it 54 inches.

IMG_0627.jpg

I add a iron tube on the bottom with 2 iron rivets.

IMG_0628.jpg

I then stained the stick with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Finally I burnished and polished the whole stick with a piece of soft pine.

IMG_0629.jpg

Joe

and at 54" tall it will make a good shooting stick :hatsoff: :v .............bob

Looks like it'll have good balance; nice job! Be sure you get a good oil finish on it. Especially on the bottom end. Hiking sticks do get into the mud and water. For non-period trekking, slide a crutch tip onto the bottom. Gets you a better grip on slick rock.
Once I figured out where my hand wanted to be, I shrank a rawhide grip onto my stick, then tied on a loop of thong just above the grip so I don't drop it so often.
Happy hiking!
Moose

i agree with joe on the choice of tip. i always use a sleeve on the end--catches and grabs on all sorts of terrain, even rock. in the past i have also used bronze-ferrite bearing sleeves. save your crutch tips for retirement. love the wrap idea as long as the rawhide is impregnated or sealed with something to keep it from getting wet and greasy.

take care, daniel

This isn't a "trekking stick".... but as I posted in the other thread about trekking sticks... period sailors/pyrates used them.... anyway... here's a picture of one that I made....

WalkingStick.jpg

I don't know what kinda wood it is, but it was a chunka sapling and some of the root for the handle.....

Nice lookin' stick Patrick. Did you stain or treat it with anything? I 've already got a bunch of miles in on mine. Gives me a little more secure feeling walking around in all this snow. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Joe

Back