• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trail Cam pic...ML elk season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grndhntr said:
OK, just one more from the same general area. This was also a trail camera picture from last year of a thirsty cat:
MtLion.jpg

I trail cats all fall after elk season this is a sizeable female I ****** off with a snowball.

MountainLion044.jpg

Green, I haven't yet tried to hunt lions, but I would also like to hunt them one-on-one, just tracking them in the snow or calling, without dogs. The lion you got looks like a nice one. Several years ago, I was able to call in a bear to 3 yds. (fawn bleat call) and take it with a bow from the ground. Pretty awesome to be 3 yds from something in the woods that can hurt you and be able to take it with a sharp stick:
Bear1-1.jpg

I would like to do something similar with a big cat someday but I need to save up for the taxidermy bill first.

That's where I used to hunt. Someplace between Utah State line and Denver. Good area. :rotf:
Merdean

I have a friend that used to bow hunt the west slopes with friends, and his knees were in pretty bad shape so he stayed close to camp. He sat down in a deadfall and stayed there till almost dark, and saw a cat move through the timber out in front of him. When it was almost past shooting light, he started back to camp. He said the skin on the back of his neck started to crawl like he was being watched, so as he was walking, he looked over his shoulder and there was a cat about ten yards behind him and crouched like it was going to pounce. He said he turned and shot an arrow like from the hip and the arrow went into the cat's chest. They never found the cat or the arrow, and he reported it to Game and Fish and they never found anything either.
The risk of hunting in the mountains.

Mike Brines said:
I have a friend that used to bow hunt the west slopes with friends, and his knees were in pretty bad shape so he stayed close to camp. He sat down in a deadfall and stayed there till almost dark, and saw a cat move through the timber out in front of him. When it was almost past shooting light, he started back to camp. He said the skin on the back of his neck started to crawl like he was being watched, so as he was walking, he looked over his shoulder and there was a cat about ten yards behind him and crouched like it was going to pounce. He said he turned and shot an arrow like from the hip and the arrow went into the cat's chest. They never found the cat or the arrow, and he reported it to Game and Fish and they never found anything either.
The risk of hunting in the mountains.

We have them around our place on the western slope, too. Funny thing, they just seem to appear out of nowhere, then disappear quick when they know you've seen them. Kinda makes me wonder how many times they've been close and we never knew it. Enough of a consideration that we don't let kids run loose and we don't go out solo at dusk. Otherwise it's really neat to see them when we see them!

Beautiful cat Greenmtnboy....my brother shot one while ML hunting for Ibex in southern NM, it was stalking him in his ground blind

The ones we have around here are much smaller.. :rotf:...saw a bobcat looking into the chicken coop the other night, my own fault :doh: was making a new batch of trapping bait using the stump and axe next to the coop to chop up fish parts...who would have thought cats like fish????? :doh: :doh:

Rifleman. That there's a black bear-blond color phase. It was quite the rush though, cause it came in to eat me (at least it was going to eat the wounded deer I was sounding like).

Back