• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhorse

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to get an inexpentive cap lock rifle for my girlfriend. She just completed her hunter safety course and want to hunt muzzleloader season with me. I found a couple of Traditions caplocks. How are the traditions firearms.?? Any input is appreciated.

Generally speaking, the Traditions products are made well enough and are a good value for a beginning shooter or muzzleloading hunter (or huntress). You are being wise by not going out and getting a much more expensive maker's product; which would provide no real advantange at this point in time, and would only lighten your wallet even further as a result.

There is always the possibility of getting a "lemon" or a "dog", but that is true of just about anything nowadays.

Are you looking at buying a brand new or a used Traditions gun?
What style, type, and caliber of gun are you looking at?

WV_Hillbilly

Traditions are good rifles IMO.

* I would have her handle several styles to determine which she would prefer before I bought her one.

Something lighter in weight might be in order for a lady, which is going to somewhat limit available choices.

Traditions makes a nice looking and handling Crockett Rifle in .36 which would be very easy to handle and shoot. I've not shot one though. I'm looking at getting one for my daughter for when she is a little older (she's only 5 now).

Alternatives might be a Lyman Trade or Deer Stalker in 50 cal.

:imo:

Hello Blackhorse, I have a Traditions Hawken rifle. It's a .50 cal caplock and I'm very happy with it. My darlin' wife bought it for me when I wanted to try BP hunting but didn't want to dive in whole hog.

(So SHE'S to blame for my addiction . . . :haha:)

It is not a top of the line gun, but she shoots well and has never given me problems. I drug it around in the snow one year for three days and when I pulled the trigger to unload it, she went off just like she's supposed to. It would be a good choice for her.

Maybe also look at the Cabela's Hawkens. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

#29980644 on Gun Broker . Com is a New in the box Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle. For around $200.00 you could not get a better rifle...

Rebel.. you should buy that. I would but I'm saving for a custom flinter right now...

Cayugad is right. Try to get the Trade Rifle if you can. .50 caliber is the most common caliber for beginners, but some of us started with .54s, and it'll be a little lighter than the same gun in .50. I have a Trade Rifle and Traditions Deerhunter and my daughter has a Traditions Pennsylvania Pellet Flintlock (all are flinters.) Functionally the Traditions are almost as good, but the Trade Rifle has a better look and feel.

Let your girlfriend handle the gun before you buy it for her. My daughter checked out a lot of flinters before she decicided that she wanted the PA pellet. She thought the Trade Rifle was too heavy.

Blackhorse, buy a good rifle that you like.Don't worry if she likes it or if it fits her or not.A good rifle will sleep with you a lot longer then a Girlfriend will.

Blackhorse...Don't pay no mind to Hole N Hand's post....He's bought lot's o' guns and his wifee sells them on ebay hhahahahaha :crackup: :redthumb:

I've had a Traditions hawkens for a couple of years, it has never given me any trouble and is a good shooter. :imo: :m2c: :thumbsup:

blackhorse-have you thought about Traditions Crockett(32 cal)not expensive,cheap to shoot,and very accurate.just a thought..Respectfully montanadan

Traditions Kentucky percuss here. No complaints and shoots prb well. nothing fancy about it though

I just looked at a traditions Tennessee rifle. It's lightweight and has a good feel and traditional design except the barrel is about 20 inches to short.

Back