• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tradition's Trapper Flint pistol "in action".....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were here, you would be out shooting 3 times a week!
By the way.....I have a request of yours coming on video soon.
Something about shooting golf balls??? LOL

I think you'll like it.
Mark, I am still waiting on you doing my request of shooting a flint lock in the rain. toot.

What powder are you guys using ? I know 3f is recommended but I can't find any only trp777 and every one says it doesn't work in flintlocks .Being a 50 cal can 2f b used ?

What powder are you guys using ? I know 3f is recommended but I can't find any only trp777 and every one says it doesn't work in flintlocks .Being a 50 cal can 2f b used ?
I have no personal experience with 2f in my own Trapper, but I have heard of people using it with success. The only issue is that it will burn slower, so you'll end up with a lot of it not being burned if you use it in loads equivalent to the 3f.

With that being said, you might experiment with substituting a few grains of the total load you would use for 777 with some of that 2f, loading it first, ahead of the 777. That way, the kicker charge of 2f BP will ignite the 777 which is in front of it. That seems to have worked for others around here.

Thank You Trapper I have read that a bp prime ahead of the trp777 helps my concern was it was pressed in me to never mix powders in a load even the same number to finish a reload but that was unmentionable powder black powder is a different beast so I felt the need to ask first

Thank You Trapper I have read that a bp prime ahead of the trp777 helps my concern was it was pressed in me to never mix powders in a load even the same number to finish a reload but that was unmentionable powder black powder is a different beast so I felt the need to ask first
Yep. Just make sure not to mix that BP kicker directly into your 777. You'll want that kicker to be poured in by itself at the bottom of the chamber before you pour the 777.

According to the SDS (Safety Data Sheets) supplied by Hodgden, the auto ignition temperature for Tripple Seven is 770 degrees Fahrenheit. For Pyrodex, the auto ignition temperature is 740 degrees Fahrenheit. When compared to the ignition temperature of Black powder which is about 400, it can be seen that the substitutes are more difficult to ignite.

The black powder kicker charge has been used for about as long as Pyrodex has been available to get reliable ignition of the substitute powder. The kicker charge is to be loaded first as @TrapperDude suggests. Better yet, use only black powder. As Black powder can be nearly unavailable is some locations, the use of a kicker black powder charge does become a necessary step to use our muzzle loading firearms.

I live in London ky

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_213659078.jpg
    IMG_20220728_213659078.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mark, I am still waiting on you doing my request of shooting a flint lock in the rain. toot.
I deleted a video I put together last year shooting in the freezing rain.
I still remember that request for a rain shot. Catching the rain when I'm available is the tough part.
I need to make a simple cow's knee too. I'll try to get one put together soon, thanks.

I deleted a video I put together last year shooting in the freezing rain.
I still remember that request for a rain shot. Catching the rain when I'm available is the tough part.
I need to make a simple cow's knee too. I'll try to get one put together soon, thanks.
Mark, thanks, I know that you will get to it. I know it is not a simple request, but I know that you like a challenge. thanks , toot.

Back