• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper-.50cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnpaw

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one on the way! Should be here by Monday! It is coming from Salt Lake City! What are the Pro's and Con's with this pistol! Also using a PRB, how much 3fg Goex am I going to need to put a deer down! Traditions recommends 45g Max! Not looking for Max, unless that is what gun likes! Just want accurate load with enough stopping power! All suggestions appreciated! :idunno:

Congrats --- I have one and find it to be muzzle heavy. I bought it for club shoots but it got to be a hassle and wore me out. It shot well though - I only used 25 gr of 3f which was enough to put a hole in paper. Good luck with it :thumbsup: .

TheLyman "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL", 2nd ed. didn't test the 9 3/4" barrel Tradition Trapper but they do show data for a 8" barrel single shot pistol.

Their maximum powder load tested was 40 grains.
For a patched .490 diameter roundball with a 40 grain powder load of GOEX 3Fg they got a average velocity of 1036 fps & 422 ft/lb at the muzzle which deminished to 961 fps & 363 ft/lbs at 25 yards.

Shooting a 245 grain Buffalo Ball-et slug with the same powder and 40 grain load they got a muzzle velocity of 962 fps & 466 ft/lb which diminished to 904 fps & 444 ft/lb at 25 yards.

The Traditions Owners manual I found on the net shows a maximum powder load of 45 grains of 3Fg powder with a patched .490 diameter roundball.

They do not show any pistol loads for slugs.

If deer hunting is in the cards, be sure to check with the Game & Fish laws in your state.

Some states will allow almost any muzzleloader but others forbid pistols or place all sorts of requirements on them like minimum calibers and minimum muzzle energy. :hmm:

Zonie, this is the first year that VA. Has allowed blackpowder Muzzleloading pistol. Have to be single shot, muzzleloaded, .45 cal or above! Cap and ball revolver's do not quaility! If I keep shots to bow range, I think I will be alright!

You'll really like the your .50 Traditions. Mine is a tack driver and easy to load and shoot. Beautiful gun, too. Every time I take it to the range, I get folks coming over to look at it. I like it so much I got a .32 Traditions Crockett pistol.

With Crossed Sticks it should tame the heavy part! I don't like shooting offhand, if I don't have to! I will lean it against a tree if nothing else is handy!

I have thought about the Crockett Pistol to go with my Crockett Rifle! Is yours accurate! Inquiring minds would like to know!

Re: Traditions Crockett .32......Different design from the Traditions .50 Trapper.....Non adjustable rear sight....Not equipped with a rod...A bit muzzleheavy....Barrel not easily removed as on the Trapper....Those are "differences" not "negatives" in my opinion. The gun is quite accurate with 10-20 grain load of Pyro RS,.310 ball, .010 patch. Fun to shoot. Easy to load. You just need to come up with a .32 rod. Lot of fun for the price.

You'll enjoy it. Had a lot of fun with mine before giving it to my son in law who liked it so much I felt sorry for him and let him have it. I used 25 grains of 3f and found it to be very accurate.

Hi fellas...new to the forum.
I recently bought a Lyman Plains Pistol in .50 as a sidekick to my T/C Hawken.
I love this pistol! It's easy to load and fun to shoot. I use 30 gr. of 3f or Pyrodex P and a .010 spit patch with a .490 RB...great results! Best of all, It's a snap to clean!
You'll enjoy the new gun.

30 grains of 3F has worked well in all of the .50 caliber, long barrel, sidelock pistols (Lyman Plains Pistol, CVA Kentucky, CVA Hawken, and an unknown .50) I have shot. Might not be the best load for a particular .50 pistol, but it seems to work so well it is my automatic go to when first loading these style pistols.

Back