• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a newer Trapper .50 and when loading the pistol it is very hard to start the balls at the muzzle. You have to practically pound the balls in. I am using balls that I made with a Lee .490 mold. I use these same balls in my Traditions Hawken Woodsman and they fit great.

When talking to a lady at Traditions thru email back and forth I am getting no wear. She suggested buying their balls several times.

What is your opinion of what the problem is?

The muzzle crown may be sharp, use a piece of sandpaper as has covered many times here to take the sharp edges off.

My Trapper is several years old. Never had a problem with a .490 ball and lubed .015 patch. Might want to check the diameter of the balls you're casting and/or go to a thinner patch.

Jeff

I normally use a .490 ball (cast with a Lee mold) and .010 patch in my Trapper pistol, which starts easy enough. I have used a .015 patch at times, and while doable it is pretty tight.

I normally use a .490 ball (cast with a Lee mold) and .010 patch in my Trapper pistol, which starts easy enough. I have used a .015 patch at times, and while doable it is pretty tight.
I bought both. 010" and .015" patches when I first got my Trapper because I didn't know which would be more appropriate. I also found the .015" patches to make for rough starts. I definitely have to use the side of the knob on my short starter for those.

Are you casting your balls with pure lead? Harder alloys, e.g. wheel weights or recovered range lead, tend to come out slightly oversized. The nominal size of a round ball mould is based on pure lead. As an example, I have a .600” Lee mould that drops balls measuring .603” when I cast with recovered lead from the local cowboy action range.

The harder balls will likely be somewhat more difficult to load, anyway. The ball should be soft enough that the weave of the patch fabric will imprint on it.

Also, while quality control in barrel making is usually pretty good, a slightly undersized bore is not that unusual.

Those are also excellent suggestions in the posts above. Check for a sharp crown and/or try a thinner patch. If it were me, I would try a smaller ball, like a .480”. As has been discussed several times over the past year, a bunch of us forum members shoot .480” balls in our fifties. Missouri Bullet Company also makes .487” pure lead balls, if you don’t want to drop down all the way to .480”.

One final thought is that if you must pound or force the ball down, you don’t want to do it with the pistol butt resting on the bench top. That can and probably will eventually break your stock at the curve of your grip. Pick the pistol up and hold it by the barrel for loading, with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Muzzleloading is supposed to be fun! Make it easier on yourself!

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Are you casting your balls with pure lead? Harder alloys, e.g. wheel weights or recovered range lead, tend to come out slightly oversized. The nominal size of a round ball mould is based on pure lead. As an example, I have a .600” Lee mould that drops balls measuring .603” when I cast with recovered lead from the local cowboy action range.

The harder balls will likely be somewhat more difficult to load, anyway. The ball should be soft enough that the weave of the patch fabric will imprint on it.

Also, while quality control in barrel making is usually pretty good, a slightly undersized bore is not that unusual.

Those are also excellent suggestions in the posts above. Check for a sharp crown and/or try a thinner patch. If it were me, I would try a smaller ball, like a .480”. As has been discussed several times over the past year, a bunch of us forum members shoot .480” balls in our fifties. Missouri Bullet Company also makes .487” pure lead balls, if you don’t want to drop down all the way to .480”.

One final thought is that if you must pound or force the ball down, you don’t want to do it with the pistol butt resting on the bench top. That can and probably will eventually break your stock at the curve of your grip. Pick the pistol up and hold it by the barrel for loading, with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Muzzleloading is supposed to be fun! Make it easier on yourself!

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Yes, pure lead. Old plumbing and roofing lead.

First measure your cast balls they MIGHT be oversized then adjust patch thickness to match. :thumb: :ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back