• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Price check

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabofdoom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Local guy is selling a Traditions Pennsylvania rifle, .50cal, caplock. He claims it new, unfired and wants 250.00 for it. Did an internet search and the going prices seem to range from 500.00 to 700.00. I never thought that Traditions were high end production guns, but maybe I'm out of touch.

So is this a good price if it is in the condition the seller claims, and are Traditions that good a gun?

That's what I paid for my percussion Hawken by traditions 10-15 years ago. I'd say if it is indeed in like new condition its a great price.

Keep in mind, I haven't priced guns in a long while though, so I could be wrong. I do know that a traditions KIT for that rifle runs aprox $300 and you got to build it..

If its really the Penn. Rifle and not the Kentucky Rifle and is in "like new" condition....jump on it! I paid more than that for my Kentucky Rifle which is nowhere as nice as the Penn.

Vtsmoker said:
If its really the Penn. Rifle and not the Kentucky Rifle and is in "like new" condition....jump on it!
Yeah, if it's the Pensylvania.
Look around the drum and inside the hammer cup for signs of firing, and down the bore of course

Cabofdoom said:
So is this a good price if it is in the condition the seller claims, and are Traditions that good a gun?

Yes, it is an excellent and very low price. However, that model has a "Roman Nose" stock meaning it has a high comb on the stock which may not let your cheek get all the way down on the stock low enough to sight down the iron sights at the target in a normal fashion.

I had to sand down that high part of the comb, re-stain the sanded part, then add a finish to match the original factory finish.

With the high comb "flattened" out, the stock still looked normal and I could get my cheek down on the comb and could easily sight down the sights at the target.

It wasn't as bad of a job as I originally thought it would be, but it had to be done. None of the several other shooters I let shoot the rifle could get their cheek down far enough on the stock due to that extra high comb which was truly ridiculous, bothersome and totally unnecessary.

That said, the rifle is very accurate, but you may have to find a traditional muzzle loading gunsmith to lighten the hammer spring. The hammer spring on my rifle was unnecessarily heavy.

For only $250 in like new condition in the box, it's a "steal"... and the rifle, itself, is a fine looking rifle with all of it's brass "furniture" and patchbox.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I have one and it's a keeper. Beautifull rifle, well worth the money if it's in the condition described.

The Hermit

My wife has one and it shoots very well. I agree with RonT, however, regarding the stock. Personally, I don't like the rifle because I can't get my head far enough down on the stock to line up sights unless I get into an uncomfortable head positiion. My wife, on the other hand, has no problems with it and likes it. Price seems very reasonable.

Thanks for all the input. made the seller an offer below his 250.00 asking price, waiting to hear back now

Cabofdoom said:
Local guy is selling a Traditions Pennsylvania rifle, .50cal, caplock. He claims it new, unfired and wants 250.00 for it. Did an internet search and the going prices seem to range from 500.00 to 700.00. I never thought that Traditions were high end production guns, but maybe I'm out of touch.

MY O2 here, Traditions will stand its own on shooting. If you do your part and learn how to learn the things you'll need to shoot BP. Then Traditions will shoot with the best of them, hands down!!!!!!!!

Now having said that I can't speak of anything but there kits because that is what I own. is .50 St. Louis Hawken rifle. There quality control leaves some to be desired but after spending some time in the game I think that is too be somewhat expected with a kit.
You have to know something about BP rifles in order to get all the parts to fit and look correctly.
The other main issue is they have in an effort to save money decided to put there rifles or at least the kits out with plastic sight. Easily solved, throw them away and buy a set of good sights.

Once I shot mine and learned what powder,lube, and grain combination my .50 liked as well as rubbing off the lands a little she quit cutting patches and well lets just say.............

Even at my age and my eyesight if I am having an "A" day, I will still take any takers on! And so far I haven't reached the point I don't feel confident to go hunting with it!

In short like everything else Traditions rifles like everything else has gone up. Do they get a bad rap, yes and for some issues it is deserving are they a bad rifle. No, it will allow you to get into BP at the low end of the spectrum and if you like then buy or build a high end gun.

You have to think of it like this, guns are made of parts and it is the quality or lack of quality of those parts that make a gun what it will be. The quality is there barring the sights and you have to be the quality control when it comes to kit no matter who puts it out!

Like I said MY O2!!!!! :stir:

OH and by the way if you haven't looked at and confirmed the gun is OK too purchase then you missed out on a good deal, cause that sounds like a real good price!

Thumbs up on the Traditions rifles. Have a $100 Deerhunter that is the most dependable flintlock I've ever seen.
One of my future want-to-do's is to stick a 32" light weight tapered shotgun barrel on a wooden stocked flinter Deerhunter and finely taper down the fore stock, put a sling on it. Probably be the most useful muzzleloader I have.

I, too, have one of those $100 DeerHunters only mine is percussion. I've owned it more than 20 years and have killed a slew of deer with that little gun. I've also got their "Crockett" which is one of the best OTC squirrel getters you'll ever find.

Cabofdoom said:
Thanks for all the input. made the seller an offer below his 250.00 asking price, waiting to hear back now

Why?!?!?! :idunno:

You asked if it was a good price. Respected members here told you it was a good deal if it was in good shape.

So you went and lowballed him anyway? :nono:

In the same situation, I'd have just paid the man his asking price and been happy. Not interested in squeezing a guy for another couple bucks when it's ALREADY a good deal.

If I'm selling something for a real good price and a guy lowballs me anyway, I tell them it was sold yesterday for about $5 or $10 LESS than the lowball guy is offering.... just to get his goat. :stir:

Hate lowballers. Just pay the man!! :slap:

I know you don't want 'unsolicited opinion' but I'm with ChrisHarris on this on. I hope the seller rejects your offer and tells you it is sold. :td:

Have you heard back from the seller? A non-response is as good as a rejection to your offer. I must admit that I usually barter on a gun even if it's on GB. Reason for this is monetary, as in it's just beyond my budget. If you have the funds buy it fast, if it isn't gone already.

I agree with S. Kenton and others.

In truth, when I previously said it was a "good price", I should have said, "It is an EXCELLENT and very low price for the rifle if it is as advertised".

In my opinion, the rifle is actually worth more than $250, so you may have passed up a really good deal, but I hope not.

You'll never do better (buy a duplicate rifle cheaper) and so, if possible, go back to the seller and if he has decided to reject your low offer, pay his price and get the rifle if he'll still sell it to you.

There is a point in any price where it is not smart to argue the cost of something and at $250, that point has been reached and passed already.

Jump on it at $250 or you're likely to lose it to someone smart enough to recognize a "good deal" when they see it.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Latest posts

Back