• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pioneer Pistol Kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes I know it's in .45. I won't be hunting with it and I have calib. is .45, .50, .54 in my rifles. At any rate I like the looks of this. Simple yet elegant. Anyone have experience with this particular pistol kit or just pistol. I'm trying to avoid potential problems that others may know about with this gun kit.

Thanks ahead.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ssion-1-in-16-twist-9-5-8-barrel-in-the-white

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy was shooting one at the range and was doing a whole lot better than I was with my 58 rem. So just a casual observation but it was accurate.

I looked for the pioneer on the traditions web site a few days ago and it wasn't there. Maybe discontinued?

I recently purchased a Traditions Springfield Pistol in 50 cal. A plain bare bones pistol that looks alot like a pioneer. I just got it a few weeks ago and haven't shot it yet.

I built that kit last winter or maybe the winter before, they're starting to run together. :haha:
I too like the lines of that pistol and the balance and "hang" are very good. The lock supplied is their very cheapest with no bridle or fly to the tumbler. There is a lot of "wiggle room" to the movement of the hammer. It was a chore to get a reasonable trigger pull because the trigger geometry is wrong. The trigger is set too far forward so that the trigger contacts the sear arm only at the very rear tip of the trigger blade. That is so far from the pivot point of the trigger that it gives no leverage.
But the durn thing shoots! The photo is of the very first five shots fired from this gun. That first load was a .440" cast ball, pillow ticking patch and 15 grains of 3f Goex and that load cronographed just over 900 fps. The one below the bull was the very first shot. It has since done better with a .445 Hornady ball but I thought this pretty durn good for the first five shots from a new barrel. I did replace the supplied front sight with a steel unit having a thicker blade and filed the rear notch to give a better sight picture. I was amazed that it grouped dead center at 25 yards with no sight adjustment at all. Oh and I also added a belt hook.

pioneerjpg1.jpg

pioneer2.jpg

You're welcome, that's what this site is for, so we can share information and experiences. I believe the .32 caliber Crockett pistol uses the same stock but they set the trigger a bit more to the rear, correcting the trigger issue but also spoiling those sleek lines by cramping the trigger guard back into the curve of the grip. If you look at images of the two pistols you'll see what I mean.

I do see it. I was looking at the .32 but since I don't have that calib. it would require another lead mold,etc. I figured I got lots of .45. :thumbsup:

BTW, what type of wood are they using. I was thinking of staining it with Cherry to match my Underhammers. Using the same stain.

The Midwayusa image shows a lefty? :shocked2: . Possible shop has the same kit for less $$, but it isn't left hand (most likely just the image at Midway).

steve

CoyoteJoe said:
...It was a chore to get a reasonable trigger pull because the trigger geometry is wrong. The trigger is set too far forward so that the trigger contacts the sear arm only at the very rear tip of the trigger blade. That is so far from the pivot point of the trigger that it gives no leverage.
Nice job on finishing the pistol and great shooting with it. Would it be at all possible to re-position the trigger further back, maybe heating and bending the trigger to get more room in the trigger guard? Or making a new trigger?

The trigger assembly is such that I don't think one could just relocate the pivot pin to change the leverage, perhaps but I don't think so. One could alter the inlet to move the whole assembly to the rear but only about 1/8" before the trigger hits the guard. Every little bit helps but I doubt you'd nottice any difference in the pull weight. I worked on the sear and the tumbler notch and it does now have an OK pull but a bit better geometry would have made things easier, as would a better lock.
Don't get me wrong here, I think that kit is a pretty good value and with some extra attention to detail one can end up with a decent pistol for not much money. I only mention the problems as something you'll have to work with, not something insurmountable.

Back