• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Panther (need Help)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverfox

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I need a little help on this one. I was at our monthly match Sunday and was asked to help a newby with his new rifle. It a Panther with 1-18 twist? Any ideas what to feed this for PRB, we were trying 35 to 40 gr. seemed to be fair. Also can the triggers be adjusted on this rifle. Also I know we need to balance the rifle with weight in the stock. Any thing else we can do? Now the good part with 10 flintlocks and a couple hawkins at the range the owner of the panther says he wants a good flintlock if he can make this rifle shoot half decent. I know it's designed for bullets or sabots. Would a ballett work if we keep the charge reasonable. He is just wanting to learn the basics with this thing. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Fox :thumbsup:

Big John: It's one of those black things that looks like a Bobcat. First one I've seen with a 1-18 twist. I told the boys it looked like a conical shooter with that twist but it will be a read kicker as light weight as it is. Didn't have any paper to shoot at just gongs so next time out we'll find out, I told them to get several conicals to try.
Thanks. Fox :thumbsup:

The panther is a 1:48 twist unless they put a custom barrel on it. Also the rifle is a hair over 5 pounds. If it is like the CVA Bobcat, you can pull the butt plate off and put some lead in the stock to calm the recoil down.

They are normally good roundball shooters. Try it next time with 80 grains of 2f, a wonder wad, and a patched roundball and I think you will find it accurate....

You can also do 75 grains of 3f and the same set up and still get excellent results with the rifle...

I'd agree it's a 1:48 twist, 1:18 is very fast and usually for inlines or pistols. Prb will shoot fine with the right combo patch/ball and conicals will shoot fine. Try to mic. the inside of the barrel,land to land to check ball size, approx. .015in. under to get you started.

Slamfire: Had several people look at the 1-18 as I had'nt heard of a rifle with that twist. All the writing looks like vibrator not stamped. If it is 1-48 it will be easier to to work up a load. I will try Roundball's method of measureing twist the next time I get to see the rifle.
It is light weight and muzzle heavy I will look a little closer at the screws in the butt plate to see if they are real or just molded. I was told that if I remove the trigger there is a screw that will allow adjustment but until I see it I won't know if it's safe to do. Must be safe when newbies are using a rifle. I think they are using 3F so will see they reduce the load some. Although they were only using 40 to 50 gr. when they asked for a little help. Glad to get all suggestions, and will post what we did to correct the little problems. I may be a month as they only show up at matches and I don't know where they are from.

Latest posts

Back