• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of those kits from Deer Creek earlyer this month for $180
It required work, not just a slap it togeather like the old CVA kits. Wood work and metal work but thats OK with me because its mine part of me is in it.
I havent shot it yet but the lock sparks good with an English Flint(I had to try that)
I am glad I bought the kit.

Take your time on it and you will have a nice pistol. There are those that will disparage the traditions Flint locks but with attention to detail they work just fine and you will have plenty of fun.

That's a nice kit and will no doubt be a fun shooter. The most positive thing about these are the standardized parts gives you and endless supply of spare parts usually readily available when needed. Never hurts to carry extra springs and screws in to the field as well as the range especially during a compettitive shoot. :v

I put together the same kit and I also put a Pedersoli Kentucky together,I like the Pedersoli better.

001-2.jpg

The top one is the Tradition,smaller lock poor fitting parts.
Bottom one is the Pedersoli,great lock,could start a forest fire with it,better fitting parts,just worth the extra money.

I bought one off auctionarms a few months ago new in box (percussion .50cal. Traditions ) for $160.00 including shipping . It went together with very little problem and it shoots great. I wasn"t too concerned about it being HC/PC . I guess the gransons and their friends and I have put 500 rds. through it and so far its doing well . I intend to convert it to flint down the road a bit .
I don"t think its a bad gun for the price .Kids love to shoot it. I don"t have to worry about a few dings and scratches like a more expensive gun . If the kids are around when I start shooting it , I usually wind up being the coach rather then a shooter , but thats what its all about? :thumbsup:

How much extra is "extra"?
As to the poor fitting parts...I expect this to be a kit, that being said I don't intend to take it out of the box and assemble it. Anything your garden-variety home 'smith couldn't work around? (such as weak lock springs, soft frizzens, etc)
I am, by confession, anal-retentive when it comes to details and precision, so if it ain't right, I would "make it so".
(oh wait...that's Captain Picard's line, not Captain Kirk...) :wink:

gordy said:
I bought one off auctionarms a few months ago new in box (percussion .50cal. Traditions ) for $160.00 including shipping . It went together with very little problem and it shoots great. I wasn"t too concerned about it being HC/PC . I guess the gransons and their friends and I have put 500 rds. through it and so far its doing well . I intend to convert it to flint down the road a bit .
I don"t think its a bad gun for the price .Kids love to shoot it. I don"t have to worry about a few dings and scratches like a more expensive gun . If the kids are around when I start shooting it , I usually wind up being the coach rather then a shooter , but thats what its all about? :thumbsup:

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

The Pedersoli is $50 more.
The lock geometry is not right,the frizzen is soft the screws that hold the nose cap on are too short,holding the barrel and stock together,you may have a half thread,if your lucky,on the Tradition.

If you want a realy nice kit try this one, LinkPistol

Back