• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Pistol accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's almost time to add a pistol to my armory. I shoot NMLRA matches so accuracy is a must. Who has first hand experience with this pistol? Would I be wasting my time and money with such a cheap priced gun? Has anyone competed with one? Opinions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718_093830_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_093830_Chrome.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 5
I have one. NOT competion grade, at least mine. However as we all know once i a while a barrel comes of the line that for what ever reason is super accurate. I had a CVA mnt pistol like that would hit a quarter every shot at 25 yds. Just got another may be similar. Need to send in for lock work, may need spring as the lock wont stay cocked after about 6-7 shots and it wont set off the cap about every 3-4.

You'll just have to take a chance. The thread you said had no related information was FULL of opinions on traditions guns so it did have that. Many hate em as they are, as you said, CHEAP. Paperboys like me started wth CHEAP 50 years back and many still have the ugly rifles we built that beat customs at competion all the time. CHEAAP can also just mean inexpensive. Thats how I take it in this areana. Others mean it as cheaply built and not lasting. I never shot out a barrel of a Traditions or a CVA?

I have one. NOT competion grade, at least mine. However as we all know once i a while a barrel comes of the line that for what ever reason is super accurate. I had a CVA mnt pistol like that would hit a quarter every shot at 25 yds. Just got another may be similar. Need to send in for lock work, may need spring as the lock wont stay cocked after about 6-7 shots and it wont set off the cap about every 3-4.

You'll just have to take a chance. The thread you said had no related information was FULL of opinions on traditions guns so it did have that. Many hate em as they are, as you said, CHEAP. Paperboys like me started wth CHEAP 50 years back and many still have the ugly rifles we built that beat customs at competion all the time. CHEAAP can also just mean inexpensive. Thats how I take it in this areana. Others mean it as cheaply built and not lasting. I never shot out a barrel of a Traditions or a CVA?
Well articulated comment about the difference between cheap and inexpensive.

I can't speak for a traditions KY pistol, as I've never had one, but I've had a couple Jukar KY pistols and they were all fine. The one I have now is very accurate. Pretty close to the same pistol so I would probably roll the dice if I were you.

I have 5 Traditions /CVA KY pistols in .45 cal. Inexpensive and fun to shoot. The limitations are slow twist rate and no set trigger. My target pistols are TC Patriot in .45 and a pure stock .45 cal. Traditions Trapper pistol. Both have a set trigger and a faster twist rate than the KY pistol. I also have 2 Traditions .32 Crocket pistols. Fun to shoot with 11gr. Swiss. I also have a LePage in .45, and a William Parker in .45. They have good set triggers. None of them can compete with the TC Patriot. I started with the Ky, then Crocket, LePage and William Parker. Each was an improvement over the KY. The TC Patriot was a big improvement . I just bought the Trapper pistol in March. I shot in a local 25 yd match this past weekend and took 1st place, 21 shooters. I enjoy pistol shooting but it can be frustrating if you don't have an accurate pistol.

I can't speak for a traditions KY pistol, as I've never had one, but I've had a couple Jukar KY pistols and they were all fine. The one I have now is very accurate. Pretty close to the same pistol so I would probably roll the dice if I were you.
Can sell it and recover most yer investment if it doesn't work out

I have 5 Traditions /CVA KY pistols in .45 cal. Inexpensive and fun to shoot. The limitations are slow twist rate and no set trigger. My target pistols are TC Patriot in .45 and a pure stock .45 cal. Traditions Trapper pistol. Both have a set trigger and a faster twist rate than the KY pistol. I also have 2 Traditions .32 Crocket pistols. Fun to shoot with 11gr. Swiss. I also have a LePage in .45, and a William Parker in .45. They have good set triggers. None of them can compete with the TC Patriot. I started with the Ky, then Crocket, LePage and William Parker. Each was an improvement over the KY. The TC Patriot was a big improvement . I just bought the Trapper pistol in March. I shot in a local 25 yd match this past weekend and took 1st place, 21 shooters. I enjoy pistol shooting but it can be frustrating if you don't have an accurate pistol.
Thank you.

How good is that le Page? I have a trapper that is a nail driver but heavy to shoot one handed. I covet a le page but wonder if it will be as accurate as my trapper?

I have a Traditions .50 and a CVA .45 Kentucky. Those as well as the Jukar and Dikar Kentucky's were all made in Spain. All seem to be pretty much on par from what I have seen. But some do shine more than others. If I was concerned with target shooting I would go TC Patriot or Trapper unless a more authentic look is what you are looking for.

Last edited:
I have a traditions trapper, it is heavy out front and I find the front trigger just a tad too far away for me to shoot it competitively. In saying that it is accurate, right charge, right patch etc. Good luck

Back