• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best powder charge for Traditions Kentucky .50 cal percussion pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it say 20 grains at the low end and 45 grains at the high end, then its safe, standard, load range is 20 to 45 grains.

Most Accurate doesn't figure into it in any way shape or form.

As some rifles may perform better at 26, 27 28, 35 grains etc.
With all due respect to you @64Springer , don't bother. He won't listen. The manual if you click on my link, says 20-25 most accurate and 45 maximum FFFg with a round ball. I don't have a clue why he want's to argue and don't care. He apparently can't read a manual and can't work up a load like the rest of us. Start at 20 or maybe 30 grains and see what 'gives'. Is he punching paper or wanting to hunt? He does not say. For all he knows, 40 grains is the most accurate in HIS pistol for any purpose. But he can't see that because he refuses to listen. The manufacturer (Ardesa), the importer (Traditions) says 20 as a minimum (20-25 most accurate supposedly) and up to 45 grains as a max if using FFFg. But he want's to argue. So you, I, Ardesa, and Traditions in his opinion are wrong.

In fact, stating 20 to 25 grains is the Most Accurate load is the most stupid thing I've ever seen a manual....
Then why tell me to read the manual, and then accuse me of not reading it, even when quoted to you, in black and white right in front of your face on your computer screen, and from your own reference, and you think it's "the most stupid thing"?

You guys are weird.

In that case, you're on your own; your're not paying attention to the manual, and if you know better than the manual, you have no cause to accuse anyone else of not reading or following the manual, because you're not doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Then why tell me to read the manual, and then accuse me of not reading it, even when quoted to you, in black and white right in front of your face on your computer screen, and from your own reference, and you think it's "the most stupid thing"?

You guys are weird.

In that case, you're on your own; your're not paying attention to the manual, and if you know better than the manual, you have no cause to accuse anyone else of not reading or following the manual, because you're not doing it yourself.
Manuals are for people who don't know anything or very little about guns.

I actually feel sorry for the people who wed themselves to the manuals that the company lawyers write.

Stating a Most Accurate powder charge in a manual is plumb stupid.

It doesn't take into account the barrel, it doesn't take into account the patch thickness, and it doesn't take into what you're shooting at.

Enjoy your manual. The rest of us WEIRD people will explore beyond what some dork in a suit wrote in a manual. To find what works best.

.... The rest of us WEIRD people will explore beyond what some dork in a suit wrote in a manual. To find what works best.
OK, fine. Just don't post stuff like this for us dorks:
It's right here on page 48 of the standard Tradtions manual-
and then jump on us when we quote the manual we were referred to.

Manuals are for people who don't know anything or very little about guns.
I bought my 147th gun last weekend, the little H&R top-break I posted in my build video. With only a few exceptions, probably less than 10, they've all been disassembled and reassembled, most down to the last screw and pin. Don't confuse "no knowledge about guns" with "no knowledge about muzzle loader loads". It's really a very, very narrow little sliver of a topic in a very broad universe.

and here I though I was the original "ignore the manual and do it my way" guy

sheesh

That's considered an arsenal by the Left.

You just went on a list.
Actually, pics of most of my "arsenal" have already been posted elsewhere, and the ATF hasn't shown up yet.
Why the h... not here as well:
IMG_2947.JPGIMG_2948.JPGIMG_2949.JPGIMG_2950.JPGIMG_2951.JPGIMG_2952.JPGIMG_2953.JPG
That's about 80% of it. I'm not a one-man militia. Just a gun enthusiast and collector. Come and get me. I've done nothing against the law.

My "arsenal" is almost all off topic in this forum, but hey, like I said, "here" is a very small sliver.

Last edited:
The Mods are going to spank you silly.

LOL

Digg'in the 1893/96 Mauser in pic four. Spanish 7mm? Swedish 6.5mm?

Last edited:

Digg'in the 1893 7mm Mauser in pic four. Spanish? Swedish?
It's a cool gun. Gew98 8 mm manufactured 1915 in Amberg. Unfortunately, the bore is shot. Sprays bullets all over the place. That's why it's a wall-hanger. My 1941 K98 bnz (Steyr) shoots much better. I also have a 7 mm M1916 Spanish and three 6.5 mm Swedish - M96, M96/38 and M38. The M96 Carl Gustav is up on the wall because it's so damn pretty, but it shoots probably the best of all my Mausers.

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I did try using the search function first (admins, honestly, the search function here leaves something to be desired) but since the Traditions instruction manual gives no guidance on powder charge, what should I use, assuming it's Pyrodex I'm using, for my Traditions Kentucky .50 cal percussion pistol firing round lead ball? Thanks much ....
Disregarding all the BS, for the most accurate target load, I would start with 15 grains or so of 3F and/or 4F blackpowder, testing each manufacturer’s granulations in relatively small increasing increments until accuracy started to degrade, then back off, working from there to find an accuracy load. Include Pyrodex and 777 in your testing if you want. All part of the game. Have fun.

I have a traditions trapper. I dont see any accuracy difference between 20 and 25g of 777 3f I like the way 25g moves the steel plates @ 50yrds. tried 30g and accuracy suffered. YMMV

Springer. RTFM is always a good starting point for any tool. occasionally you might even learn something... heck i installed a shower wand for my sister a few weeks ago. being a dude and a carpenter I did not even look at the furnished material. naturally i got one of the fittings bas akwards and it leaked... had to RTFM and re do the job. I do in fact feel sorry for you that you feel so superior to everyone who is smart enough to RTFM.....

Springer. RTFM is always a good starting point for any tool. occasionally you might even learn something... heck i installed a shower wand for my sister a few weeks ago. being a dude and a carpenter I did not even look at the furnished material. naturally i got one of the fittings bas akwards and it leaked... had to RTFM and re do the job. I do in fact feel sorry for you that you feel so superior to everyone who is smart enough to RTFM.....
Not worth getting banned over.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I did try using the search function first (admins, honestly, the search function here leaves something to be desired) but since the Traditions instruction manual gives no guidance on powder charge, what should I use, assuming it's Pyrodex I'm using, for my Traditions Kentucky .50 cal percussion pistol firing round lead ball? Thanks much ....
With muzzleloaders there is no “ best load “ that is ideal for all guns of a caliber.
That is smokeless cartridge pistol thinking.

I feel that with these front stuffers its mostly personal preference as long as you use the proper powder and projectile and don't over load.

Back