• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Buckskinner .50 Percussion Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Going to pick up my first muzzleloader this afternoon...Traditions Buckskinner .50 Percussion Rifle w/ 21" barrel. I believe the rate of twist is 1 in 48"? I'm gonna shoot iron sights on this gun. I have never shot a muzzleloader before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bullet/powder charge/percussion cap recommendation?
Round ball/conical/sabot?
Anybody got any experience with one of these?

Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with a Traditions, but with a .50 caliber and a 21" barrel you need to be using FFFg black powder. If you use something like Pyrodex, you need the "P" granulation. Start off with 50 gr. volume (not weight) in either case. Use a .490 round ball and Oxyoke .015 patch prelubed or a good grease such as Wonder Lube 1000 to start out with. Later, you can get into the better lubes and experiment with patching such as going to a fabric store and purchasing pillow ticking and making your own patches.

The most important thing of all is to learn how to clean it. You need to use hot water and patches until the barrel is clean. It is not hard at all after you get the hang of it. You will find this sport addicting.

I have one, and the twist is 1:20. I have shot RB out of it with acceptable accuracy out to 50 yards. Even took a mulie with it a couple of years ago. I think it was designed for suppositories though. A 1:48 would be much better if that's what it is. IMO, not a bad starter, but it does have it's limitations.

Check the hunting regulations in your state if you intend to hunt deer with it. Some states have restrictions on how short the barrel can be on a ML, and they may not allow you to use a barrel that Short.

The Maximum Efficient load of powder that barrel will shoot is ONLY 47 grains. So, Use 3Fg powder ONLY, and be sure to use BLACK POWDER only. That way you will get some velocity out of that short barrel with enough power to help the 180 grain RB penetrate a deer- sized animal.

If you don't know, that gun comes with a POWDER CHAMBER that is smaller in diameter than the .50 cal. Bore diameter. You will need a .22 or .30 cal. Bore Brush to get into it to clean it.

There is a tiny hole( My main objection to the gun, BTW) from the powder chamber at the breech of the barrel, into a FLASH CHANNEL, that is hardly much larger.( My other objection to this gun.) Powder has to fit down through this tiny hole to go into the flash channel, and then over to the Vent or Touch Hole( TH) For positive ignition. That is why I recommend using Only the smaller granular size, 3Fg powder. The larger sized 2Fg often will Not fit down through that tiny hole.

There are two cures: Use an end mill cutter to remove the powder chamber, or drill out the tiny hole to something a bit bigger. Then drill out that flash channel to make it bigger, too, and Polish the heck out of that channel. A smooth side, without chatter marks from the drill bit, will not allow CRUD to build up in that channel and block either the powder or the burning of powder, causing a misfire.

Get both a cleaning Jag, and a LOADING jag- like the cupped one that comes on your factory rod, along with a Stainless Steel, or brass, or Aircraft Aluminum RANGE ROD.

You also need:

A good vent hole pick;

A short starter;

Cotton Flannel cleaning patches- about 2 1/2 " square or round( HINT: Go to a fabric store and buy a couple of yards of flannel. Then cut your own square patches at home. Saves a lot of money.)

Patches to use around the RB you load into the barrel, that are thick enough to fill the grooves, and grab the ball securely so the fabric will transfer the spin of the rifling to the ball. For your .50, try .015- .018" Patches( muslin, Cotton, Linen- Pocket drill, and pillow ticking) With a .490" Diameter RB.

For target shooting at 25 yds, a load of 30-35 grains of 3FG should be enough to give you accuracy without much noise or recoil. For hunting, try 45 -50 grains of 3Fg. Zero the gun at 50 yards, and limit the yardage at which you will fire on large game, such as deer.

You should also have some way to pull a ball from the barrel- either a ball jag, which looks like a wood screw welded to a machine screw to fit the end of your RANGE ROD( which it is) or a CO2 ball discharger. Get a box to put your stuff in.

Buy a good Adjustable volume powder measure. I recommend buying a measure that has a funnel attached by a hinge to the top of the measure, to help get ALL the powder down the muzzle!

You can find pictures of all this stuff at Track of the Wolf, and in the on-line catalogs of many other suppliers. If you go up to MEMBER resources on the index page to this forum, and scroll down to "Articles, Charts, and Links", and click on " links", it will take you to a long list of suppliers. Click on the name there, and their websites will come up on your screen, with their catalog, if available.

If you use 3Fg powder for your main charge, you can also use that powder for priming the flash pan, instead of buying 4Fg powder.

Until you get some experience shooting the gun,you can load from the can or bottle of powder into your SEPARATE POWDER MEASURE. Later, you can invest in a powder HORN, and make a non-adjustable measure to fit your favorite load.

Best of wishes to you. :thumbsup:

bigblue said:
Going to pick up my first muzzleloader this afternoon...Traditions Buckskinner .50 Percussion Rifle w/ 21" barrel. I believe the rate of twist is 1 in 48"? I'm gonna shoot iron sights on this gun. I have never shot a muzzleloader before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bullet/powder charge/percussion cap recommendation?
Round ball/conical/sabot?
Anybody got any experience with one of these?
Welcome and CONGRADULATIONS on a Great new sport!
Muzzleloaders are an excerise is tinkering....There are SOOOO me options and veriables that is is hard to give a 2+2=4 awnser. Flint gave you some Valuable info on cleaning your gun; Be mythodical about that!
You will need some basic equipment (jags, patches, etc.) If you need specifics, ask and you can get a list.
Now MY biggest mistake as a beginner was to jump to quickly at a "load" or "method" without trying/"tinkering" enough first. Ecah gun is a unique beast and it will preform BEST with its own semi-unique load. TRY LOTS OF Options....various types of ball and/or slug, patch and/or wad, powder ganulations and maufacturer, etc, etc, etc.... A) Its fun and B) YOU will uncover the BEST load and method for YOUR gun.
My personal specific recomendation for a starting point would be a .495 ball with a .018 patch over FFFG or Pyrodex P (with powder I would start at 50 grains and shoot 3 shoot groups, increasing powder charges by 5 grain increments untill you find your BEST group at 25 yards. THEN you can "sight in") OR you might try a Hornady great plains connical too.
Good Shooting! :)

Don't have box or manual...bought it used, but it is marked on barrel 1:20 like yours R.M. Previous owner was shooting CVA Powerbelts w/ 100 grain powder charge

Since you have confirmed the 1:20 twist rate and the carbine barrel I am guessing conicals would probably be the best for hunting. I don't have much experience with conicals but I saw that hornady makes a PA conical which looks kind of like a shortened Great Plains bullet. It weighs 240 gr. I bet those would work well in that gun.

1:20 twist? Heavy conicals will work well in the rifle. 350g+. Roundball works well for practice.(Low powder charges).

I must confess that my rifles that have that fast a twist I use a 265g .44cal bullet in a sabot. I also use FFF BP or 777 in the 3F granulation around 80g. Yeh I know a waste of powder but it's what works right?

Oh, the bullet? Hornaday 265gFPSP it is one of their XTP's.

I have one in flintlock. Just checked it and it says 1 in 66 twist. I cast my own Lee R.E.A.L .50 cal. bullets out of pure soft lead. Grease up the grooves good and I use 70 grain of 3F for hunting. It is a great little gun out to 50 yards, but past that,it gets squirrely. I love the hooked breach because you can take the barrel off and submerge the breach end in a bucket of hot soapy water and use a patch on a jag. It will pull the water up through it as you work the cleaning rod. When done, I pour some boiling hot water down it (don't forget an oven mitt to hold the barrel), dry it, then run a patch coated with bore butter down it to prevent rust. Good luck.

Back