• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason0012

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have, what i would describe as a junk gun. It was a $50 purchase from a pawn shop that never would fire reliably. It is 50 caliber traditions "deerstalker" i found the pamphlet online for it, but it was immensely unhelpful. I have not been able to get fire into the charge. I have cleaned it many times, it always seems to be filled with charcoal and rust. I have removed, then changed the nipple, but that did not help. I soaked and rinsed it, soaked in Kroil, evaporust, and transmission fluid. I got the tumbler screw out and can see the chunks of carbon in the touch hole. Scraping it out and I got one shot, the next, plugged again. The pamphlet warns sternly against removing the nipple tumbler. I will confess I tried but don't think I can get it off without scarring it badly. My next attack was the breach plug. I applied Kroil and heat and a tight fitting wrench, and sheared the lug off without the plug even considering moving. I am not above drilling it out and installing a new plug, but would like to get it apart with as little damage as can be managed. Is the tumbler locking the plug in? I suppose I should not worry about hurting it at this point. I am tempted to bandsaw the breech off, fit a new plug and use the tube to build something better

It would seem that they are designed to basically not take apart.
Yes the nipple drum threads through the breechplug.
If all you can get out is rust and dust the tube might be stuffed as well.
Just how much damage have you done?
Could you blow down the barrel through the nipple?

I suspect that your previous owner has filled the patent breech with assorted rust and muck by not cleaning it out. It is a chamber set into the breech of about 1/4” diameter. This would need something like a .22” cleaning rod to enter the patent breech chamber and clean it out. A bore size cleaning toll will only clean up to the patent breech. A simple rod with a flat screwdriverish end filed into it will get inside and scrape out the muck. After that use a .22LR cleaning tool to keep the chamber clear as well as whatever you use to clean the bore.

I am sure the pamphlet also warned against removing the breech.

As you see in this cut away picture of a CVA/Traditions breech (thanks @Zonie), the drum is threaded into the breech. Removal of the breech plug is not possible unless the drum is removed first and then it becomes extremely difficult to reinstall the drum.

1614519713301.png

To clean out the chamber, use the 22 caliber brush as described above.

I have one of those that had the same problem. The breech won't budge.
There was a ring of gunk in the barrel in front of the touch hole. First I filled the barrel with penetrating oil that did nothing. Next step I used a CVA patch remover broke one wire off.
Then between using a breech scraper an old 22 cal aluminum cleaning rod with no attachments and another CVA patch remover the dam broke and all the gunk came out in chunks.
Keep working at it they are good rifles for the money. Mine will group 3 balls into 1 1/4" at 50 yards with my old eyes that is excellent accuracy.

Last edited:
I don't know if this applies or not but I have heard of the hole drilled in the drum, inside the barrel not drilled properly or a big burr being left behind partially blocking the flash channel giving the same problems you are having. A bore scope would be needed to tell for sure.

As shown the drum goes through the breech plug which prevents you from removing the breech plug with out first removing the drum. Your only solution now is to cut off and replace the breech which means redoing the barrel mounting since the barrel will be about two inches shorter. Or try drilling out the breech plug.and replacing it. NEVER try welding a breech plug.Replacing the barrel may be a cheaper way to go.

I don't know why CVA and everyone says it is so hard to put the patent breech together.
I had a used CVA "Kentucky" rifle that wouldn't fire reliably, back around 1987.
After pulling the drum and then the breech plug, I discovered the previous owner left a daRn cleaning patch in the bore.
(Yes. I did worm the barrel several times before taking it apart. The CVA brand wire worm I had refused to grab the patch.)
I used the ramrod to push the old patch out.
Took all of a minute to reassemble. It fired reliably and was a tack driver when I finished.
When the breech plug is properly torqued, the threads for the drum line up perfectly.
When the drum is tight, the recess is lined up with the center of the bore.
What's the big deal?

Fine example of why one should ask for advice before treading in unknown territory. There is/was no reason to remove the breechplug. Removing the nipple bolster maybe. Those can be removed without screwing them up badly. I've had a couple CVA/Traditions bolsters that come right out without much effort. And some that were not so easy. The process starts by soaking the bottom of the barrel in a small container of penetrating oil. A couple days at least. Then secure the barrel in a padded vice with the bolster pointing straight up. Replace the nipple with a 1 1/4 inch bolt of the same thread size (m6x1). You need a leather pad to fit around the bolster and a crescent wrench and a breaker bar/stout pipe that will fit over the crescent wrench. I suggest applying heat right off the bat, you will probably discover you need to do this anyway and it can't hurt. Torch all around the bolster on the barrel surface till it is smoking hot. Wrap the bolster with the leather pad. Engage the crescent wrench on the bolster with the bolt pointing towards the handle. Slip pipe/breaker over handle and a apply strong steady pressure. It might take a couple of hammer whacks on the handle to get it loose. I have always been able to get them out

I converted a CVA from percussion to flint and in the process removed the breech plug because I made the job harder than it had to be. However when I removed the percussion drum (which was tight but doable with enough leverage) I noticed there was a liner or bushing that the percussion drum was screwed into. I used a hexagonal punch and smacked it in with a mallet. Then unscrewed the liner/bushing from the barrel. Then the breech plug was able to be unscrewed.
Im pretty sure this was a CVA Kentucky Rifle that was made in the early ‘80s

Back