• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions .32 Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was in Gander Mountain couple of days ago, and they had a traditions 32 cal Crockett. Wood stock with brass hardware, aluminum rod. Fit and finish looked decent, price was 300.00. I've been looking for a .36 but haven't found one yet that I can afford. How is the Crockett? I've never owned a traditions rifle, but I've heard good and bad things about them. Would appreciate any opinions. Before I forget, there's a nice Hatfield .36 percussion on Gunbroker right now. I'd bid on it, but my wife would absolutely kill me!

The Crockett is a very nice rifle. They are extremely accurate shooters. I have had 2 of them. Only thing i did was replace the funky wooden ramrod they used to come with. I got solid brass rods from www.rmcsports.com They also carry the rd balls and jags and such for a .32. You will need a special nipple wrench for the Crockett as the normal size ones won't work on it. RMC may have them as well. I think you would really like the rifle. They are easy to carry, and shoot great.

What Rebel said :front: plus they're FUN ta shoot..a pound a powder will last a looong time. I never could find a nipple wrench that would fit. I asked for one special from TOW and they sent the wrong one too. I finaly took one of my longer ones and took the sides down on my grinding wheel...smoothed it up...works great. Hope ya get yer Crockett & enjoy.
Al

Best of the Traditions line in terms of fit and finish. Mine's a great shooter, and a real pleasure to use. Like the others said, you can't go wrong with it for both fun and economy.

My starting load when I first got it was 20 grains of FFF or Pyrodex P. I don't know what it will do with more, because I have never had a reason to try. It's whacked a wheelbarrow full of snowshoe hares in the last year, and misses weren't the gun's fault. When I squint my old eyes real careful it will shoot close to an inch at 50 yards with that tiny load. Who needs more than that from a small game gun?

The Crockett is one nice gun--with all of the expressions given regarding it's cost and accuracy. Some of them have had issues---but that's always a spectre with repro guns. You asked about a .36---well Traditions makes the Shenandoah in .36 and it's a right purty gun with double set triggers, inlays, patch box, nice butt plate all in brass and a real accurate gun to boot. I don't remember if it comes in flint, mine is a percussion model, colour me happy. :front:

Purty much what everybody else said. My favorite load so far is 10 grains pyodex P and a .310 PRB. I replaced the rear sight on mine with a sight from a CVA Mountain Rifle (adjustable) and it's minute of squirrel head out to 40 yards. I bought a revolver nipple wrence, didn't have to turn the sides, but did have to open up the slot a bit. If'n I had to sell all my rifles 'cept one, this'n be the one i kept.

Swoter,
you shur wont be sorry if ya git a .32 Crockett.
I jest got one a few weeks ago....and I am tickled to death over the performance!!!! was shootin 1/4" to 1/2" groups at 35 yds the first time out! This little sweetie will really CRACK with 30 gr fff....but I figure 10 to 15 gr will be jest fine fer skwerls.....and such...

*** WV SCROUNGER ****

Back