• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Muzzleloader magazines?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Once again, being new to trad ML, are there any monthly or bi-monthly magazines for traditional muzzleloading only?

Best kept secret any place.. the older NMLRA Muzzl Blast at a buck each it's a real rip off the only time your going to get over on them, for real the older ones have some really good stuff you won't find anyplace else.( this from no lover of the NMLRA) :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Muzzleloader is good, they have good articles and lots of ads for things that fit what we do. Muzzleblasts comes with membership in the NMLRA, it's good but a lot more club oriented, there are good articles in there as well. Smoke and Fire magazine ( a newspaper actually ) has a listing of all the events for all the timelines in the US. All of these can be found online.

Many Klatch

Check out On The Trail. They have staff writer for all the different time frames, color pictures, and a respected staff.
[url] ottmagazine.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know what ever happened about Buckskinner Magazine or the dirtbag publisher that took our money & ran? I paid for three years subscription & only got a few issues. :cursing:

John Baird first went bankrupt, and then he died a couple of years back. You were just one of many subscribers who lost part or all of their subscription fees. That is the risk we take anytime we subscribe to any magazine, particularly new ones. The amount of money involved is not enough to justify even filing a claim in bankruptcy court, much less hiring an attorney to pursue the matter.

Sorry you are still so angry about that. If you are over 40 you probably have lost money a couple of times on subscriptions to magazines that went into bankruptcy. I can think of two that got me.

Bald Mtn Man said:
Anybody know what ever happened about Buckskinner Magazine or the dirtbag publisher that took our money & ran? I paid for three years subscription & only got a few issues. :cursing:

Chris Kolleth, was the owner and publisher of "Buckskinner Magazine". He offered to sell me the magazine (publishing rights, not a subscription), but I have not heard from him since I declined the offer.

I met Chris back in 2004 at a show. I think it was in Kalamazoo. I paid a year's subscription and got three magazines. He seemed like a very genuine person and I really don't think he did anything deliberately to screw us out of money. Seems things got out of control and he didn't know how to handle it. It really stinks because it was a great magazine with so much potential! And while it really does suck that we're out our subscription money and a great magazine, I heard Chris lost not only his dream, but all his money, his house, and his reputation.

He seemed passionate about muzzleloading and wanted to bring more people in. It is pretty sad that, on top of all the above, he may also have lost that pastime and his friends. I'm not saying he is totally blameless or that he couldn't have handled things better--I really don't know--just that I really think he meant well and there was no scamming involved.

I would really like to know if he's OK and how he's doing. It would be really great if somehow he was back on his feet and brought back the magazine. Even if he couldn't bring back the magazine, I for one, would still give him the benefit of the doubt. I really wish none of this had happened! Very sad.

Back