• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML'ing on the rise?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderrick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just wondering... back in the mid-1800's traditional Muzzle Loading was all the rage. Did it then go into a bit of a slump in the late 1800's and early 1900's (I wasn't really around at the time -- I'm 24) only to start reviving here in recent decades?

Are there more traditional ML'ers now then 5 years ago?

Can I look forward to easier access to ML'ing supplies in local stores in the future or do I need to be tooth-and-nail fighting to keep our hobby alive....

I'm kinda new to this and still getting a feel for the field....

IMO, (others may dissent) the current Trad ML affair took off with the CW centennial back in 1961, flourished to the high point in the 70's & 80's, been on a downhill slide as of late.

Likely more ML hunters than ever, but they mostly use those unmentionables just to get more days afield, of which I see nothing wrong.

So long as I can get the holy black, really doesn't bother me one way or the other if there is more or less traditionalist ML's.

i think transtaafal pegged it, but that just empirical and a limited sample set of observations at best.

does anyone have access to deer tag data? how many deer are taken with 'traditional' ML (as opposed to the that-which-cannot-be-named)?

does this data break out by year?

might make an interesting economics paper, since there are folks who try to make a living by selling us all these cool toys...

If you consider non-reproduction side locks to be traditional, then I'd say there are fewer. If you only consider reproduction guns to be traditional, then I'd say there are more. Living History is bigger than it ever has been. Most of those using zipguns were using inexpensive non-reproduction sidelocks.

Having owned several inexpensive zipguns in the past, I will say that for less than $100.00, they are amazingly accurate. I think of them the same way I do compound bows. They are season extenders for those who don't have the time or commitment to learn to use the real thing. If they get people to buy a hunting license, that's good because fewer people hunt each year. When states no longer see hunting as a money maker, we won't be hunting (legally) any more.

jderrick said:
I'm just wondering... back in the mid-1800's traditional Muzzle Loading was all the rage. Did it then go into a bit of a slump in the late 1800's and early 1900's (I wasn't really around at the time -- I'm 24) only to start reviving here in recent decades?

Are there more traditional ML'ers now then 5 years ago?

Can I look forward to easier access to ML'ing supplies in local stores in the future or do I need to be tooth-and-nail fighting to keep our hobby alive....

I'm kinda new to this and still getting a feel for the field....

I think muzzleloading did expand geatly during the 70's & 80's, due in very large part to the influence of quality affordable muzzleloaders from T/C that also had a lot of a traditional design to them.

Then the modern stuff hit the scene in the 90's and if all ML's that load from the front are included, ML has continued that expansion in general.

Based on what's been happening in the market place with modern stuff, and the disappearance of traditional supplies from store shelves, I'd think the decline in the availability of more traditional supplies will continue.

Real black powder is needed for Flintlocks so I keep as close to my 2 case limit of Goex on hand all the time...strategy being, if real black should get eliminated, I can use 20grns of Goex as an ignitor charge and top off the rest of the charge with Pyrodex or something...it works perfectly and I could stretch out the Goex for years and years that way.

Does anyone know of other commercial or industrial uses for real blackpowder? I would also like to know the volume of powder made by Goex or other companies. Seems to me as long as they're making money and the liberals in Washington dont sweat over it we might continue to have a source here in the US. Ive seen several topics on this forum about this recently. Do you know something I dont?

You asked if there are more traditional muzzleloaders now than five years ago. In my personal observations as a state certified Hunter Education Instructor, the answer to your question is an emphatic no!

When I bring one of my Hawkens to class for demonsrative purposes the students are just awed. They act truly surprised that I would want to hunt with such a thing.

If you're asking if muzzleloading is on the rise for hunting purposes my answer once again from my personal observations is yes. But it's due to all those new fangled front stuffers.

flyboy said:
You asked if there are more traditional muzzleloaders now than five years ago. In my personal observations as a state certified Hunter Education Instructor, the answer to your question is an emphatic no!

When I bring one of my Hawkens to class for demonsrative purposes the students are just awed. They act truly surprised that I would want to hunt with such a thing.

If you're asking if muzzleloading is on the rise for hunting purposes my answer once again from my personal observations is yes. But it's due to all those new fangled front stuffers.

Agree.

Does anyone know of other commercial or industrial uses for real blackpowder?
It's used for blasting rock(slate?), Hand grenades and I think the navy uses it in big guns.

Is there more traditional muzzloaders now? Hard to say but everytime I go to Dixon's shop there is someone there and I don't keep seeing the same people. :hmm:
Lehigh...

Unfortunatly, for those of us that like and shoot "traditional" muzzleloaders, the bottom line is what dictates, what is on the shelves of sporting goods stores, and gunshops. Can't really blame them though, they have to make a profit to survive. I see very few, if any, new, "traditional" muzzleloaders on the shelves. I do see some used ones at gunshops, but none at the bigger sporting goods chains. Couple that with articles in some of the more popular hunting, and gun magazines, and all you are exposed to are those newfangled things we don't talk about. For these reasons, I believe that ownership, hunting, and shooting of the "traditional" muzzleloaders is on the decline. Most unfortunate. :(

Don't despair Landgroove. There will always be enough of us traditionalists out there to keep the sport going! :)

You'd be hard press to find many traditional muzzle loaders around my neck of the woods, let along flintlocks. Inlines are everywhere, Walmart, the local Pawnshops, ect. but if you want traditional you've got to order it or build it yourself.

My thoughts;
To me traditional muzzle loading [anything with a sidelock] seems to cycle in popularity and right now it seems to be at the bottom of the curve. I belive it will come back in a few years with great[url] intrest....again[/url]. I was up at Fox Ridge about six months ago and was talking to one of the salesmen and he told me they sell one side lock to every 100 inlines. In time the inline market will become saturated and sales and intrest will drop off. Thats when I belive the intrest in traditionals will start again. As far as muzzle loaders go I think they will be one of the last guns to go. The first being assualt wepons hi cap pistol. pistols in general centerfires and so forth down the line. This may not happen in our lifetime but it will happen. I don't see the young people getting into the shooting sports like they did years ago and with out the young people to follow in our footsteps the anti gun people will take over be shear numbers.
[So the next time you go to the range bring a Kid]
Well enough BS. for now....Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not worried about the loss of muzzleloaders. I'm concerned about black powder being banned, lead becoming very hard to get or illegal to use, and the loss of places to shoot and or hunt.

I was at the barber shop the other day and picked up a copy of the March '06 issue of Field and Stream. F&S published the results of a poll of its readers about the greatest guns ever. There was also a section of questions on the politics of guns. One of the questions asked, to paraphrase, "Do you think that the new in-line MLs are no different from modern center fire rifles and fail to deliver the challenge of traditional hunting?" I beleive the percentage answering yes was 54%. A slight majority. The other 46% said that modern in-lines offered a cleaner, more humane kill and prefer them over sidelocks. So there is still some hope.

HistoryBuff

Me too, but most pepole's only source of education is TV, and they actually believe what the TV tells them.

Here is an observation that I had in the past week that might help to answer the question about how common traditional muzzleloading is. A flintlock hunting buddy of mine also is pretty good at dinging off Coyotes with his .243. He got in with the people who produce the weekly outdoor show on PBS put on by the state Fish & Wildlife Division. Every state has one of these I think, ours is called Kentucky Afield. They wanted to film him on a coyote hunt. In all I guess it took about 7 trips into the field to get one kill on tape but, they finally did. Anyway, while hunting my man starts talking with the show's host about side lock muzzleloader hunting, particularly flintlocks. Now this guy who is the show's host, who is on the cover of our Hunting Guide this year, has been doing outdoor shows for years, didn't know anything about flinters, but he was interested. Apparently he went back to his producer and told him about it. The producer was very excited about the idea of fliming a hunt with some guys who hunt flint locks. This because in the producer's words "There are not but a few 'ol boys how hunt with flintlocks anymore - get in good with them (me and my buddy) and see if they will allow us to tag along on a hunt this fall". I'll keep you all posted on whether or not that actually happens.

Couple this with the fact that the NMLRA membership is down again this year and the fact that I can't find black powder at a retail store around here to save my a** anymore and I would have to say we are becoming a fringe minority in the shooting sport world. Cheers!

What really sustained muzzle loading was the great depression and the poor mountain folks who had very little else to hunt with. Powder and lead was cheap compared to modern cartridge guns. Some of them, like Jed Clampett, did O.K. for themselves.

Back