• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track o Wolf pillow ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
On my last order I got some TOW un lubed pillow ticking. I kept it for when I ran out of Walmart patches I cut. I tried it today. I spit patch and in my mouth the texture was different. felt more dense. Just wondering if anyone else uses their pre cut unlubed patches and if your happy with them. It shot fine I thought. Well, I did not notice anything different as far as my grouping and Point of impact @ 50 yards so I may just get more on my next order. I'm not concerned about price, I know I can make them cheaper myself.

Did they appear to have been washed. As whenI am going to cut strips from my pillow ticking. It is not W/W ticking. I always wash it twice before cutting. If it is not washed it has a totally different texture. Just my observations.

Never used TOW's patching. However, Jo-Ann Fabrics ( which is local, ergo no shipping fees) has a huge selection of 100% cotton pillow ticking, pocket drill, and denim. If you have a Jo-Ann's nearby, by all means go there...with your micrometer as there's lots to choose from.

They work fine, but mine were not the advertised .018. Crushed and by my measuring method, they were .013 to 0.016. So there was quite a bit of variability in the thickness and they were not .018.

The texture of mine was like they were starched. I doubt they were, but they were quite stiff.

Ordered .015 patching from TOTW. I got .012 patching.
Will use it for my 36 cal.
Will go to my local fabric store for .015 patching. Won't have to pay that high shipping cost either.

Are you folks cutting at muzzle? I like pre cut patches for now. But hand cutting is a pain.
Can't seem to find a patch punch worth my while.

BTW, The thickness works for me cause I"m using .495 balls in a .50 and .535 balls in a .54

I really wonder why you do that. :confused:
Wal-Mart material has to be quite a bit cheaper than TOW. Just buy a larger quantity of ticking when at WM. Also it will be consistent. Right now with your puzzling method you are working with two different materials. I buy quite a bit of ticking at WM at a time. Cut it into smaller sections and keep sealed in plastic bags. Some of it is lubed and also kept in plastic bags handy for use. That gives me the same patch shot to shot.

Melnic said:
Are you folks cutting at muzzle? I like pre cut patches for now. But hand cutting is a pain.
Can't seem to find a patch punch worth my while.

BTW, The thickness works for me cause I"m using .495 balls in a .50 and .535 balls in a .54

You don't need a patch punch, just cut the patches into squares, its a whole lot easier and they shoot the same as a round patch. If the patches you bought from Track are real stiff they are indeed starched. The pillow ticking at WM and Jo-Anns is too, you will need to wash it to remove the starch (its called sizing in the trade), it makes it easier to fold and to cut. Unwashed pillow ticking will measure undersize by a couple of points, ie. if it measures .016 at the store it will fluff out to .018 after washing.

I haven't used Track's patches but years ago I used some from log cabin. I found their .015 pillow ticking would be .013 one batch and up to .017 the next and sometimes actually .015. So now I just buy pillow ticking at the local Amish fabric store after checking with my mics.

I think they are starched cause I lubed a few with ballistol/water and they curled up on me. My washed walmart ticking does not, it lays flat easily.

Well, did some testing today.
The TOW patches are definitly not a good substitute for my Walmart Ticking.
My walmart Ticking is washed, then hand cut.

My groups almost doubled @ 50 yards from the bench using the TOW patches.
I then shot the Washed Walmart ticking and the groups were nice and tight. About as tight as my shooting can get @ 50 yards. I can still keep this for offhand 25 yard shooting I think or if I don't need as tight of a fit.

TOW is a good company to deal with and they sell quality products but I never buy my patching material through the mail. They buy patching material by the bolt and cut the patches from it just as it comes off the bolt. No washing. To get patching material that is the same thickness every time, you must go to the store with your micrometer and actually measure the material yourself. Any given fabric from the same mill will vary a few thousandths in thickness from bolt to bolt. That is why you have to measure it yourself to be sure that you are getting what you need. Then, before cutting it, you need to wash it to remove the sizing that is put in it to make it look nice on the bolt in the store. This sizing effects how the fabric will absorb your lube. One or two washes with no fabric softener. When you remove it from the dryer, run over it with an iron to smooth it out. It just makes more regularly shaped patches if it is ironed before you cut your patches.

Note: A word to the wise...Running the cut edges through the sewing machine before tossing it into the washing machine will keep those edges from raveling and making a tangled mess that will have you using scissors to cut through the raveled threads in order to straighten out your material.

BINGO --- You are totally correct BillnPatti :hatsoff: . When you "mike" the fabric in the store it will "mike" a few thousands larger because the fabric has the sizing in it and the fabric is stiff - after it is washed it will measure a bit smaller because the fabric is softer and the "mike" compresses it a slight amount more then when the sizing was in the fabric. I wash my fabric in a mesh bag so that it does not unravel the edges much then dry and iron the wrinkles out & fold it really nice :grin: .

Back