• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW or Chambers???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchawkeye

58 Cal.
Reaction score
For several years I have wanted to build another flintlock, I have 3 daughters and only 2 flintlocks...With college tuition, cars, a wedding the rifle keeps being moved to the back burner, but I think I'm getting closer...I mentioned to the wife last night that I actually wanted to build 5-6 more and she agreed...Eventually I need a fowler of some type...At any rate, I started doing some pricing today...

Let's say I want to build a Isaac Haines, .54 caliber and upgrade to fancy maple and double set triggers...TOW is $712 with the Colerain barrel and $801 with the Rice...Plus shipping

Chambers is $925...Plus shipping

1st are the Colerain barrels fine for a guy that doesn't shoot competition but will deer hunt with it...I can shoot my current .54 into 1 1/2 inch groups a @50 yards, but it has a Rayle barrel with the 1-72 twist, I notice the Colerain is a 1-56..

2nd...What makes a Chambers such a better kit??
Is it more PC, better balance, less inletting...

Thanks Guys...I know they are both great kits, just doing my research...

Well I'll answer question #2
Chambers from my experience makes a better kit. Less overall work involved with the inletting.

Chambers is the champ. You get only the best of everything. I have done three builds from TOW, all three had problems, although I was able to correct them. I have had experience with either nine, or ten colrain barrels, including my own. One is a tack driver, my own is good enough for plinking or hunting, three had tight spots, one was too rough cut and returned, two or three remain untested so I guess they can't be counted. All in all, Colrains are too rough cut for my taste, and their breechplugs are not always fitted well. Go with Getz, or Rice. Rice seems very promising from the reports I get. Go with a Chambers lock, made by Chambers. Not from someone outside who assembles them from kits, unless you know the quality of their work. I know others are going to poo-poo my assesment of Colrain barrels, but if you get an opportunity, look down a Getz, and a Rice, then a Colrain, you will see for yourself. My best advise is pay the extra, and buy a Chambers kit. If possible, attend the CLA show this month, and you can see first hand what you need to help decide.

I have not had any problems shooting Colerain barrels. I am not a big fan of round bottomed grooves but they do shoot just as good as my square bottom groove barrels.

I have put together three guns from TOW parts, all went well, I think the Colerain barrels are fine, having said that if Chambers had the same style gun available I would go that way, from what I hear the extra work allready done is worth the extra cost, TOW can be problematic as far as getting all the parts at one time, and you don't want to discuss the historical accuracy of their product and writeups with Mr. R...might as well talk to a period stone wall.

Is Chambers still inletting the lock plate, and if they are, have they repositioned it?

I read on this forum that at one time, the lock plate mortise had been cut into the stock and it was incorrectly placed to allow the lock screws to be properly installed.

I might add that with the TOTW and Pecatonica River stocks, the lockplates mortise is not cut which allows the builder to position it so that the lock screws won't interfere with the ramrod.

zonie :)

Having shot Colerain and Rice and using both for building I can say my experience is they both are great shooters. Target or hunting. The main difference you will see is in the finish. You'll spend a couple of hours getting the same finish on a colerain that a Rice barrel has right out of the tube. I can also say I have never seen a Rice breech plug that wasn't fitted perfect. I can't say the same for Colerain. Some need to be worked on to get good contact all the way around the breech face. That can be a PITA. Maybe I'm just being picky about that. I think you will find the same differences between the kits. You will spend much more time finishing the Track kit. I'm pretty sure the Camber's kit has the upper forearm shaved down and Track has a squared forearm? Anyone know for sure?
Ken

Not sure on the Haines stock, TOW has some that are inlett for the lock and some that are not, same for the shaping of the forestock and other inletting, my French Fusil was square ahead of the lock panels which I would just as soon have for ease of drilling and some of the other work. A lot of which is better depends on the experience/ability of the builder.

I wont use anything but a Rice barrel, but then thats my personal preference.

The only reason I didnt build a Chambers.

If you not a picky bugger like me, then the Chmabers kit may be one of the easiest one to build.

One of the big differences between the 2 kits could be the brass. If the TOW brass is sandcast, then a lot of filing is required and if it's investment cast, then there's an issue of color. The Chambers' yellow brass is probably the best on the market and requires a minimum amount of work. Am presently building a Chambers' Early Lancaster and previously built this same kit 2 yrs. ago. There is a slight problem w/ the front lockbolt interfering w/ the RR, but using a #6-32 in lieu of the #8-32 that comes w/ the kit nearly eliminates this problem and it is totally solved by filing a shallow groove in the lockbolt. Otherwise I haven't encountered any other problems, which I can't say about some other kits I've worked with. The only time I use a Colerain bbl is when a Rice isn't available and Getz delivery times are forever. The Colerain bbls require a lot of draw filing compared to the Rice bbls, but the bores on both are satisfactory. Some builders relate horror stories w/ some kits, but never w/ a Chambers' kit. Besides Chambers has the best guarantee and are willing to give advice. Good luck.....Fred

I have built the Chambers Isaac Haines.

With out a doubt it is worth the extra "C" note

The finish on the Rice bbl and the quality of the breech plug install is all most worth that.

Then you get a Chambers lock - Nuff said

The swamped bbl inlet is flawless

the lock is inlet

The quality of wood std or upgrade will be 1-2 grades higher with the Chambers.

I think that is over $125 worth of goodies.

If that doesn't close the deal for you.

If you have a problem along the way you call and "Jim Chambers" answers.

If you have a problem along the way you call and an order clerk answers.

"PRICELESS"

IMHO

You have gotten good advice and comments. Both kits are acceptable, but the Chambers is generally conceded to be the best on the market and many "custom" builders in reality start with a Chambers kit. You can of course get Chambers locks in TOW kits as well as a selection of barrels with either kit. I have barrels by Colerain, Getz, Rice and several others. My best shooter is an old Green River. But the others are all comparable. Some builders complain about the differences in finish between barrel makers--but in the old days builders were expected to finish the barrels [and breech them] themselves--the Colerains shoot fine. I bought my Colerain barrel already mounted in a custom rifle and the finish inside and out was top notch--apparently done by the builder. I see no difference visually between my Colerain, Rice and Getz barrels. All are of very good quality.

The Chambers parts set will be the best one. Better inletting, better quality control on all the parts, better wood for the money, if they say they have it all, "THEY DO". Great people to deal with and wonderful locks with a Lifetime Warranty on them..

I am on my 2nd T.O.W. build
a northwest trade gun
now a southern mountain rifle.
the stock on the s/m rifle was backordered. took a while to get it. But I wasn't in a hurry anyway.
T.O.W. has been good about answering questions.
I wouldn't hesitate to order another T.O.W. component kit.

Back