• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Totally new to all of this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleksrgill

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I joined this group mostly because of my husband. He’s always been into guns and target shooting and a few years ago we moved to a more rural area and the previous owners had made their own rifle range! He has a collection of “normal” modern guns that he uses occasionally, usually to help protect my livestock from predators these days (which is rare since it’s usually too late for the animals if the predators get that close.) Other than that it’s all targets and he likes having company, so I’m being supportive!

Anyway, he loves wall decorations in his office and garage so I picked up a gun at a random antique/ resell store for his birthday coming up. I assumed it was a decorative thing since it wasn’t expensive and they just let me buy it and walk away. Cute for a wall! The guy just shrugged when I asked if they knew anything about it. Looking closer it appears to be real and someone told me it was a caplock rifle and it has the stick thing so I think it’s a muzzleloader. I was hoping to find any info on if it’s an actual gun or not, but I’m not sure where to post that since I don’t know if it’s brand new or older or what. Any suggestions would be great!

Anyway, I’ve been learning a lot just poking around! Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the Forum. Post some pics and if there are any stampings along the barrel or side-plate give us those and let's see what the members here can tell you. This site has a wealth of knowledge amongst it's membership, so I'd guess they can give you a good idea of what you've got there.

Post some pictures of the gun. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. If you post in the wrong place, the moderator will guide you and help you post correctly.

Here’s a few that I took. I’ll poke around for another spot to post them so others can see it easier! The only mark I can find is the CS on top, but I don’t see that it means anything. Maybe the person who built it was proud and added initials. I think I saw a kit that had the same little star things, but of course now I can’t find the website it was on. Maybe the original owner had bought that kit or something similar and added some of the “fancy” details? They did a pretty bad job on the moon, though, yikes. I heard you should check if they’re loaded by sticking the rod down in there and seeing how far it goes, but I’m pretty sure the one on this thing is missing part or the wrong one because it went all the way in and probably had more room, I was worried about losing it!

Attachments

• 5EE6C0B2-F44B-4028-92A9-AE1D1239499F.jpeg
    5EE6C0B2-F44B-4028-92A9-AE1D1239499F.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 903A8DFD-D38B-40A0-84BB-861FD44570FE.jpeg
    903A8DFD-D38B-40A0-84BB-861FD44570FE.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 158
  • C8A7705B-3DE8-48D5-942D-404BEDFBD4DA.jpeg
    C8A7705B-3DE8-48D5-942D-404BEDFBD4DA.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 3269E715-8206-4358-9928-587D86A5D9AE.jpeg
    3269E715-8206-4358-9928-587D86A5D9AE.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 572FE3FC-693D-4B01-AE5C-4B5CB9B7F968.jpeg
    572FE3FC-693D-4B01-AE5C-4B5CB9B7F968.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 9B70AD8D-4A0E-4956-AF88-3914FBD28670.jpeg
    9B70AD8D-4A0E-4956-AF88-3914FBD28670.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 33B541E5-4420-4069-82FF-D726E1D66B05.jpeg
    33B541E5-4420-4069-82FF-D726E1D66B05.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 80D1D533-7B98-45C2-83E3-C1F22D675717.jpeg
    80D1D533-7B98-45C2-83E3-C1F22D675717.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 5D40956B-ED41-48F7-A16A-6DB5C4AA5A36.jpeg
    5D40956B-ED41-48F7-A16A-6DB5C4AA5A36.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 150
Welcome from Oklahoma.
The stick thingy is called a ramrod. A picture or two would be helpful. Lots of knowledgeable people here to help you out.

Looks like a Kentucky style rifle. Also, it appears to be in pretty good shape. Are there any other markings on the barrel?
I see the 2 letters there but I don't know what they mean.

Oh that thing is like a ticking time bomb. You should pack it up and send it to me. :p

Just kiddin. It appears to be a modern production caplock rifle. Someone here may know what the CS means if they see the thread. From the artwork I'd say it's made in spain. Someone didn't store it properly at some point and the barrel pitted. So as a wallhanger, you made a good choice by not paying for a new gun. I can't tell what caliber it is, but you probably could shoot it. You just have to figure out if it has a ball in the bottom already. People who let their guns rust like that often load them up for hunting, don't see a deer, and just leave the ball they loaded in. With no cap on the nipple it is safe, regardless. But if you decide to shoot it you should let us know and we'll walk you through how to do it.

Looks like a Kentucky style rifle. Also, it appears to be in pretty good shape. Are there any other markings on the barrel?
I see the 2 letters there but I don't know what they mean.

I don’t see any other marks, but I heard sometimes there are marks on the underside of things? I tried to see if I could take it apart, but I am baffled how one can do that. I watched a video on YouTube, but there was a pin they pushed out and I can’t find one.

Oh that thing is like a ticking time bomb. You should pack it up and send it to me. :p

Just kiddin. It appears to be a modern production caplock rifle. Someone here may know what the CS means if they see the thread. From the artwork I'd say it's made in spain. Someone didn't store it properly at some point and the barrel pitted. So as a wallhanger, you made a good choice by not paying for a new gun. I can't tell what caliber it is, but you probably could shoot it. You just have to figure out if it has a ball in the bottom already. People who let their guns rust like that often load them up for hunting, don't see a deer, and just leave the ball they loaded in. With no cap on the nipple it is safe, regardless. But if you decide to shoot it you should let us know and we'll walk you through how to do it.

Oh that would be fun if it could actually shoot! I couldn’t reach the bottom or end with the ramrod - should I get a longer stick to see if there’s anything inside?

I don’t see any other marks, but I heard sometimes there are marks on the underside of things? I tried to see if I could take it apart, but I am baffled how one can do that. I watched a video on YouTube, but there was a pin they pushed out and I can’t find one.
The barrel pins should be located on the forearm of the rifle where those brass inlays are. They kinda look like a eagle or something.

To shoot it you would need to order a ramrod that goes down to the bottom, so yea, see what the length is. If it goes clank at the bottom you are probably fine, but you'll shoot a cap through it (at the range, toward the embankment downrange) just to make sure.

The barrel pins should be located on the forearm of the rifle where those brass inlays are. They kinda look like a eagle or something.

Are the pins really tiny? There are a few little things in the middle of the stars and one by itself. How do you get those out?

The first thing you need to do is secure some percussion caps. That is not so easy right now. Call around to your local gun dealers and ask them if they have any or have any coming. It might be a while. You need #10 or 11, or the rws 1075. If you get 11s you have to pinch them a little.

The first thing you need to do is secure some percussion caps. That is not so easy right now. Call around to your local gun dealers and ask them if they have any or have any coming. It might be a while.

Good thing there are a ton of gun stores around here! Are all percussion caps the same or are there different sizes? Actually, is there a really good, reliable book or website to start from square one? I feel terrible asking so many questions.

Are the pins really tiny? There are a few little things in the middle of the stars and one by itself. How do you get those out?
Yes, they are tiny. You can use something like a small nail along with a hammer to drive the pins out. You'll have to lay the rifle on a table to do it. I'd say to place a few blocks of wood under the gun to lift it up a bit as the pins are probably an inch long or so.
Pull the ramrod out because it will hold the barrel in place after you get the pins out.

I was editing to include that lol. There are tons of youtube videos out there on how to load and shoot (and clean) a muzzleloader. Ask your gun dealers if they have any black powder or substitutes. Regular FFG black powder is the most reliable. Or Pyrodex RS as a second choice. Black powder is measured by volume, not weight, so once you ascertain the caliber, you can look up suggested loads for it, and you'll need a powder measure. You will want to find pure lead balls. It looks 45 caliber to me, which would mean you would use .440 balls. The dealer may have them too. They may also have lubed patches, but if not they are readily available online, or you can just cut one out of a tshirt or jeans. Online you will also find a ball starter, bullet puller, and patch puller, and you need to get those for your gun. Since you need a ramrod anyway, I would just get it online. I was just buying stuff on this site, which has probably everything you need except caps. The online stores are mostly taking what inventory of caps they have an selling them at third party sites for much more than retail right now.

https://www.jedediah-starr.com/

Latest posts

Back