• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Totally new to all of this

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, they are tiny. You can use something like a small nail along with a hammer to drive the pins out. You'll have to lay the rifle on a table to do it. I'd say to place a few blocks of wood under the gun to lift it up a bit as the pins are probably an inch long or so.
Pull the ramrod out because it will hold the barrel in place after you get the pins out.

There is absolutely no reason to pull the barrel pins and remove the barrel unless you just have to know what is under there. There is 0% that this is a collectible gun and worth anything other than utility value for a rusted and pitted muzzleloader.

It looks like a CVA lock. Here’s a picture of my CVA pistol.
60C8E3F7-1A5B-44D5-B0CA-18198DC21817.jpeg

Some muzzleloaders have easily removable wedges. This one does not. You are going to booger the gun further, and potentially take away it's wall hanger appeal. There is nothing under that barrel of value.

There is absolutely no reason to pull the barrel pins and remove the barrel unless you just have to know what is under there. There is 0% that this is a collectible gun and worth anything other than utility value for a rusted and pitted muzzleloader.
I agree with you. The lady was asking "how to ".
It looks like a pretty good find. If it was mine, I would pull the barrel to refinish it. Just my 2 cents.

Some muzzleloaders have easily removable wedges. This one does not. You are going to booger the gun further, and potentially take away it's wall hanger appeal. There is nothing under that barrel of value.

I was under the impression that we would have to remove it if we cleaned it? You’re right that I intended for it to be another addition to the wall since it was the same price as a neat old metal oil sign. But, considering my husband shoots, if it is useable for that I’d rather go that route. If it’s not safe for that I’m fine with the wall.

Hi everyone! I joined this group mostly because of my husband

Very worthy plan. However, it will help us to help you if we have some idea of whereabouts you live. There is little point in one of us recommending that you go to a gunstore in Maine if you live in New Mexico.

Very worthy plan. However, it will help us to help you if we have some idea of whereabouts you live. There is little point in one of us recommending that you go to a gunstore in Maine if you live in New Mexico.

I’m near Greensboro, North Carolina if that helps!

I was under the impression that we would have to remove it if we cleaned it? You’re right that I intended for it to be another addition to the wall since it was the same price as a neat old metal oil sign. But, considering my husband shoots, if it is useable for that I’d rather go that route. If it’s not safe for that I’m fine with the wall.

It is for sure usable and was meant to be shot. The rust is just surface rust and will not effect function. You do not need to remove the barrel if you clean it, and when you do, you can drool oil in there to stop whatever rust might be happening under there.

It is for sure usable and was meant to be shot. The rust is just surface rust and will not effect function. You do not need to remove the barrel if you clean it, and when you do, you can drool oil in there to stop whatever rust might be happening under there.

Okay that’s good! Worst case the rust will make it look at home with the old farm equipment I’ve dug up and cleaned. Last question, I think - I saw online that there was a problem with CVA where people got hurt and the company was sued. Is there a way to figure out if this is one of those or do we just have to cross our fingers?

It isn't a CVA by name, which means you couldn't look up the serial number. It wouldn't be on the recall list. There is virtually no chance that there would be a problem shooting normal loads in this gun. For plinking, 50 grains of FFG will work fine and be totally safe.

Thanks everyone! I came here just to double check what sort of gun this had and if it was useable and these things are way more interesting than I realized! I’m normally not a fan of guns (I don’t like loud noises) but I’m actually excited. Maybe if we like this one we can learn more and buy something nice someday!

Just based on your pictures it looks to be in good shape. Those old CVA guns were actually quite accurate, just not the best fit and finish. If you want my suggestion, I’d clean it up, learn to shoot and maintain it properly, then shoot it a lot!

Check out my recent thread in the percussion rifle section “Wacky Shooting”. I’m using a Traditions Kentucky 50 caliber which is very similar to yours.

I like the looks of your rifle very much by the way. I think it looks cool!

Okay that’s good! Worst case the rust will make it look at home with the old farm equipment I’ve dug up and cleaned. Last question, I think - I saw online that there was a problem with CVA where people got hurt and the company was sued. Is there a way to figure out if this is one of those or do we just have to cross our fingers?

The CVAs in question were the inlines and had to do with using smokeless powder in them. Your's is a Spanish made gun. They were made and sold by allot of different companies, CVA was just one of them. Your's looks allot like my Hopkins& Allen. One of the older ones around the early 70s.

Ok, no has mentioned (I think?) finding some ML shooters or group or club to take this rifle too and have them examine and then instruct on its proper loading etc! She aid in the Greensboro NC area, so anyone there or close or near lets get them hooked up !

Back